What's new

Selling Advice..

Reaction score
Country
Hey.. so..

I feel its time for me to move on from the S15 (no its not broken haha)

But, as a fair few of you know whats gone on with my car, eg- its a Cat D (cosmetic), its got minor rust in edges of the front fenders, and rear arches, the front jacking points need looking at as theyre pretty rusty. Other than that theres no rust really anywhere, its been udnersealed but these parts take a beating from stones/jacking the car up constantly..

So my dilemma is, which would be best for mefinancially:

try to sell my car as it is now, with all the oem spare parts i've acquired over the years.

OR

Sell the WHOLE CAR for parts (first dibs for guys on here)

and, How much would you guys expect an S15 in this condition to sell for?

Paint is very good, mechanically its spot on (needs a new ebc solenoid.. gizzmo one died). its got 78k on the clock, most of which are motorway miles, and has only done 1 drift day! no track days or anything else..

Sensible replies only please!

Cheers

Reaction score
Two ways of looking at it mate, sell the whole thing cheap/ish and have your money in one go or break it up for a load of cash but you've got to try to hold on to the dribs and drabs of cash as you get them. The latter is better finacially but it's really hard not to let the money run through your fingers.:(

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Ahhh difficult choice mate! How much would you realistically want for it? Not that iI can aafford to buy it but do you have a price in mind! I would say 6k is about fair as in bits it's worth 3-4k and a good shell is worth 2k. So actually prob 6250-6500.

Reaction score
Don't be crazy!!!! Anyone selling for less than 8k is a fool, even if you import yourself you can't get a tidy 15 for less than 7.5 and you have all the stress and waiting. The shell is 2.5k, engine 1k, gearbox and fly 0.5k then all of the stock/aftermarket bits (turbo/injectors/etc). Minimum 50% cost price for all aftermarket bits!! Hold out and you'll get what you want for it!:cool:

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
My only thinking was cos its a cat D but that's only because insurance would be harder to get. What's your insurance like jase?

Reaction score
Country
I would say sell for parts, you will get much more money that way. As the car has t had the easiest of lives I don't think you could ask for more than £6k. However if you split it you could do £10k easy once everything was sold! No brainer in my eyes :) plus these things rarely get split so I wouldn't think it would take to much time to sell most of the bits.

Ps first dibs on the headlights :)

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
A S15 Spec R Shell goes for around £3000-£4500 easy depending on condition.
Granted Jase has had some quite bad luck with people crashing into him but most people in this game see past the fact if its a Cat D etc if they are buying shells.

If I was going to strip mine I wouldnt accept anything less than £4000 for the simple fact that they hardly ever come up plus the fact its not got any rust and had people smash into it :p sorry Jasde low blow lol but I know your pain on this one :(

As a trade in your not going to get anywhere near what you paid for it these cars are now dropping like stones (being realistic) Best bet would be to tidy it up best you can and sell it with a realistic price its just a shame you lost the Aero Front. I am considering buying one to help the sale of my own S15 but its quite alot to put a chance on but I will never work with a Fiberglass bumper again for as long as I live! Hate the stuff after having my S14 lol :wack:

Reaction score
Country
cheers for the opinions guys!

I dont want to pile money into making it spotless if i'm not going to make any return on it..

Also, i've still got the old aero bumper which i've been assured CAN be fixed, and i've got a spare spoilerless boot (no holes) in good condition.

Realistically to get it smart it just needs a minor de-rust & paint. the jacking points at the front are a little more raw and will need some repair, but it passes an MOT without that getting picked up so its not a real issue yet.

i'd love to strip it and help you lot out with parts, but. I need a car. and i'm not sure if i can afford to buy and insure a second car whilst i'm trying to shift this one :(

I payed 7,200 for it when i got it 2 years ago, which was a bargain for one in mint condition, totally standard.. but since its now a CAT D (although rebuilt and faultless) that knocks the value down.. and then its got a load of aftermarket parts on that put the value up again.. GAH.. lol

edit - insurance is cheap with Admiral because they're muppets. Its £670 for me fully comp with 3 points and 1 write off. and i'm 23 :) WIN!

Last edited:

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Well if it realistically owes you 7,200. Then 6k would be really fair! And I'd think it would easily sell to a drifter etc who isn't worried about the arches! I wouldn't accept less than 6 tho!

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Sorry to hear you're selling :(

Do you still have the standard bits and pieces for it? If you can't be without a car & don't have the funds to get a second one while you're selling / stripping this one the only thing you can do is return it to standard and sell it & the aftermarket stuff separately. That way you've enough to buy a second car, can wait for a decent price for all the goodies and are not left with a half broken shell 12 months down the line.

When I sold mine I put it up for sale as it was and advertised the fact that I was returning it to standard on "X" date if there was no interest close to the asking price. I was fortunate enough to find a buyer for it as it was and didn't have to return it to standard but if I didn't I would have made much more than my asking price as I'd a lot of interest in the stuff I was going to take off it.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Sad to see you selling up Jase :( Reminds me of when I put mine up for sale... twice lol :wack:

Like what most of the guys are saying, selling the aftermarket parts off separately will be more advantageous if you have the patience. It's a sign of the economy as nobody has the cash unless you are very lucky or have something in mint condition (and possibly heavily modified) which some moneybags person from overseas will probably take off your hands...

Reaction score
Country
The problem is, most of my oem parts were replaced because of failure, so i dont have that many OEM parts left.. i mean from memory i've got a boot, cracked aero bumper, air box, camber arms... and thats about it i think! :(

bit annoying really.. i'm gonna see what i can do. i might be able to take my car off the road and transfer my insurance over..

also, does anyone know how hard it is to transfer my registration off the silvia, and onto another car? i mean, the silvia will need a registration of some description, so how do i go about doing that? lol

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I would say it's worth £5-6k too mate. May sound a bit low but although the rust looks cosmetic, I can guarantee from experience that it won't be (especially rear arches and sills/jacking points) and will take a lot of work to repair properly.

Breaking cars takes a huge amount of time and requires a lot of space. Not worth it unless your going to get a good return from it IMO.

Reaction score
Country
I would say it's worth £5-6k too mate. May sound a bit low but although the rust looks cosmetic, I can guarantee from experience that it won't be (especially rear arches and sills/jacking points) and will take a lot of work to repair properly.

Breaking cars takes a huge amount of time and requires a lot of space. Not worth it unless your going to get a good return from it IMO.
i know :(
i feel like i need a new car, but i wont get enough return from this one, and i dont have another car to use if i broke it... looks like i'l be keeping it for a while then...

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Everyone gets itchy feet, and of you were to change the cars apperance would it decrease your foot itch? Probably! So I say wide arches, new wheels and boost of performance! :)

Reaction score
Country
to be honest sam, i've been toying with wide arches for a while now. but i've got bad experiences with fibreglass which is the only thing stopping me..

but you're right, new arches will fix the rust issue there, and i need other parts respraying too so might go for a complete colour change. wheels, i think are fine for the moment :) performance is a work in progress lol.

but its all money i dont have right now. tax is due next week, and insurance the week after. UGH.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Yeah I would love wide arches too as, I've got alittle bubbling on an arch that was replaced, but as you say they are not always good experiences and the quality is normally poor!

And yes money is never easily available for the things we want, I've just paid 16500 Quid to a solicitors for my house. Knowing I'll never see that sort of money again!

What is it that makes you wanna get rid of yours? Ride quality, the bodywork, old age?

Reaction score
Country
well ive had it for over 2 years now, i guess i feel the need to be saving more money to put towards a house. so running a cheaper car.

there isnt anything at all i dont like about my s15. yes its been a lot of hard work and long days doing countless repairs and mods, but in my opinion, its all worth it if the end result is a good one! :)

ride quality is good, bodywork.. is an uphill struggle. the age of the car has no impact on me at all. i prefer older cars as they're generally easier to work on!
but obviously older cars have more rust issues..

oh- and for a 20,000 miles a year daily drive, its never really broke down. turbo coolant lines split, but it still drove (slowly).. drove through a lake headlight deep and drove it back firing on 3 cylinders.. that was an emotional week that followed haha

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Go and do a track day, that will put a smile on your face! I use mine as a daily as well. I go through moments of wanting to sell, but I love my car. I just have to talk the wife into letting me get something else for a daily and then the S15 will sit in the garage. Then I can just enjoy it.

Sometimes I wonder about if a cheaper car is worth it. It ususally costs you in other areas. You definately don't have the same street cred. :p