What's new

Tyre fitting/wheel guns

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Evening guys, merry Christmas and all that jazz!

Dont know if any of you saw but I needed some new rubber the other day, had it all sorted car was immaculate when I took it there so paid no attention. But after a hour trip to take the gf to her parents thought I'd clean it today. Where they have used the wheel nut gun the inside of the holes are wrecked. My wheels are white so show the marks up alot more but have you guys noticed this before?! There are other marks on the wheels which werent there before but not sure what can do about it? I know these arnt Works or anything but is this the quality of the paint or just them being abused? I know a guy that works there which is why I deal which the place.

I can nail some pics up if anyone wants a look but just wondered if anyone has had to deal with kind situation before! I'm gonna order some with a internal spline to stop the issue, any recommendations of any well priced good quality sets?

Cheers :)

Reaction score
Country
You can put up some pics to check, but more likely it was the socket used with the impact gun that fit very tightly in the wheels holes, that together with the impact gun may have scratch the paint a bit, but without any pic can't tell for sure.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I never trust tyre places with my car even though I know them. They do the jobs as quickly as they can and don't seem to take much care of the wheels. I absolutely hate it when they jack the car up by the sill too as it totally ruins them so normally I will take the wheel off the car myself and give it to them loose. Still watch them like a hawk though!

You can get special sockets that have a plastic outers on them that should prevent this but sounds like it's too late now. Internally splined nuts still need an adapter and then a socket so wouldn't you get the same problem again?

Reaction score
Country
i stand there and watch them too, if they are rough at all i make a point of telling them about putting my wheel nuts on easy as a previous wheel & tire place cross threaded two on my old spec s as well as scratching the wheels, and all of a sudden they are much more careful.

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Internally splined nuts still need an adapter and then a socket so wouldn't you get the same problem again?
Im not sure, the ones Ive used before the adaptor would bring the socket away from the wheel enough? The plastic socket thing might be an idea though, but yeah bit late now. Not sure what to do about it really! Lesson learnt though.