What's new

S15 SUBMARINE!!! (Another bad idea from Jase..)

Reaction score
Country
Ok, so i had to use the word 'submarine' otherwise you wouldnt have read this. This is kind of like my blog of all the (stupid) things that happen with my car.. hahaha

And this is the latest and so far, greatest (potential Cat A write off)..

So, to set the scene, there had been adverse weather warnings passed out throughout south west wales, flood warnings, storms, etc. However, i seemed to have bypassed the news that day. It just looked a little rainy to me. So i set off on the 9mile journey to the local town for some nibbles and beer. Encountered a large puddle on the way, slowed down, made it through, got my beer. Turned round and came back via the same route, only this time, the puddle had grown. MASSIVELY.

The puddle was now (unfortunately) deep enough to enable me to get halfway through it, thinking it was shallow. And then for my engine to cut out, and refuse to start again immediatly after. I then ave up hope on starting it. Looked out the window, as did my mate riding shotgun, and noticed that the water level was halfway up my door, to receive a response to my 'ffs', he said 'mate, my feet are getting wet'. At that point, i flashed. I was not a happy bunny. So i decided we had to jump out and start pushing pronto. Only my made didnt want to get his feet wet. Those army types eh?

Anyways, pushed the door open, and closed it fast, trotted round the back of the car and started pushing. Once it was clear of the 50ft, knee high deep 'puddle', i decided a good inspection was worth while whilst waiting for my breakdown company. So, i took off the air filter and AFM, and sure enough, they were swimming. a bit of water had gotten into the turbo by the looks of things too.

And that wasnt the half of it. After fiddling round with the engine bay for a while trying to dry stuff out, i went to put my toolkit in the passenger footwell. Only to discover a small breeding ground for koi carp forming. Yep. Every footwell (minus the drivers for some reason) had about 4 inches of water sitting in it. BAD TIMES.

Luckily i had my cleaning kit in my boot, so out came the sponge and microfibres! managed to get most of the water out at the roadside. dried off the AFM, and such, got it all connected back up after giving it about 2 hours worth of drip drying, and sure enough, the legend that lives, the mighty SR20 ROARED away from the puddle, firing on a beautiful chorus of 3 cylinders for the remaining 4 miles back to my destination. Needless to say i drove it very slow and carefully, and as soon as i got back stripped the engine ancils out to dry and the entire interior of my car is now in my room drying off.

What. a. day.

One thing though, i'm so glad i have a Spec-R. If that was a Spec-S, then chances are some water may have gotten into the engine itself. Thankfully the turbo/intercooler piping caught my water :)

The water at its deepest point in the puddle was literally lights deep. NOT COOL.

Anyways, waiting on a dry day tomoro hopefully to get the engine reassembled and see what happens. I've also got a local lad (S14A guru) whos gonna give it a look over sometime during the week to make sure water hasnt gotten anywhere it shouldnt have!

Hope you had a nice read! Oh and apparently if your car engine floods and will not start, and you go to your insurance company, it is an immediate Cat A write off. So, anyone got a spare SR20DET lump? I may need one (but hopefully not!)

Jase

Reaction score
Country
Its 09:43am and this has already made my day! :D

I hate puddles that dont look deep but are...I once drove through one at some speed in my old corsa gsi to make a wave only to realise 10 minutes later upon getting out that it had ripped my side skirt off! Had to go back and fish it out :p

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
If it was 'massively bigger' than the first time you went through it, did you not imagine it would be massively deeper too?! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
If it was 'massively bigger' than the first time you went through it, did you not imagine it would be massively deeper too?! :rolleyes:
Oh craig, you're such a straight edge person! Live on the edge! push your car that one bit further than you should! :) hahahaha

I know you all love my updates haha. So the score so far is: Its running... reasonably. It keeps having a period of misfiring for a while as well. gonna try some new plugs and give the engine another check over. Had a mate with a 14A check over it, and its ticking over fine, just misfiring a bit. AFM might be shot, but gonna try the plugs first. Anyone know why its only boosting to 0.5 too? its not the EBC before anyone suggests that, as that was working fine..

Cheers :)