What's new

FAO Daily Drivers: Winter Tires!

Reaction score
Country
Well... for all you S15 daily drivers out there.. whatre your plans for winter? I rack up a lot of miles and dont really fancy:
a) getting my wheels all salted up, and b) hitting the corners uncontrollably in the ice lol

so. anyone banging spare wheels on with winter tires? if yes, can someone provide me with info about winter tires as i've never used them!

I'll be sticking the Nissan 16" jobbies on that came standard with some nice skinny tires :)

thanks!

Reaction score
Country
Was thinking about getting a set of snow tyres but for decent ones your looking at over £130 each so I cant afford that :(

Just gonna walk / bus it when it gets bad...S15 survived last year with a few hairy monents going up slight hills...dont want the scares this year lol...its other people that scare me anyway as 90% of people cant drive in snow!

Reaction score
Country
As above, its other people driving or the lack of that i get most worried about, ill be taking the s15 off the road next weekend, gonna get a cheap €250ish runaround to see me through till february or so, and im not too bothered if i crash that in the snow!

Reaction score
Country
Was thinking about getting a set of snow tyres but for decent ones your looking at over £130 each so I cant afford that :(

Just gonna walk / bus it when it gets bad...S15 survived last year with a few hairy monents going up slight hills...dont want the scares this year lol...its other people that scare me anyway as 90% of people cant drive in snow!
Yeah i know what you mean.. but i cant get buses to work :( I've got to drive. so. 4 winter tires will last me a good few years if theyre only used from say november - feb and minimal driving :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Lol. Don't think about living in Scandinavia. They're a compulsory and expensive joy of driving. Hell of a difference though. Studded are best, but they're illegal in the UK, I think.

Reaction score
Country
Lol. Don't think about living in Scandinavia. They're a compulsory and expensive joy of driving. Hell of a difference though. Studded are best, but they're illegal in the UK, I think.
hahaha i dont think it gets that snowy/icy over here thankfully! Just some nice big treaded 'land rover style' stuff should do it haha :)

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
If you can't afford tyres this made a huge difference :D

A 17x9JJ Work CR-Kai, a full 200sx brake set up (discs, pads, calipers, front & rear) and about 30 or 40 litres of water/coolant mix :cool: The mats did have to make an appearance a couple of times though...

Man I miss my S15 :( I would definitely not be using one every day in the winter again :no: There are too many idiots on the road, plus the salt ruined a lovely set of bronze GT4's on me :cry:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
I won't drive my S15 in the winter, I did last year and managed ok but now I have had it painted and sealed the under side I'm not going to drive it unless the roads are dry and there is no grit on the road. I just brought a Peugeot 306 1.9TD for £500! Well worth the money if it means I can keep the Silvia in mint condition :) plus if you take in consideration the cost of four snow tyres it's not really costing me any more money. And I get 50Mpg :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
And there's another thing: grit. Despite the weather here, it's never put on roads. They are cleared properly with graters. Result? No adverse winter corrosion. 20-30+ year old cars are still in good condition, or they are falling apart from age, not rust.

Reaction score
Country
My 15 came with Pirelli winter tyres on when I imported it, but seeing as I was never going to use it in the winter, I had them put on some wheels to use on my BMW.
when it last snowed, I could still drive okay about through snow deep enough to be dragging on the bottom of the car, where as with normal Falkens on I couldn't get off the drive!

I was that impressed with winter tyres, that I've recently splashed out on a new set for my new BMW as it was a different tyre size.

Well worth it in my opinion if you want to be able to get about in adverse weather conditions :nod:

Reaction score
Country
My 15 came with Pirelli winter tyres on when I imported it, but seeing as I was never going to use it in the winter, I had them put on some wheels to use on my BMW.
when it last snowed, I could still drive okay about through snow deep enough to be dragging on the bottom of the car, where as with normal Falkens on I couldn't get off the drive!

I was that impressed with winter tyres, that I've recently splashed out on a new set for my new BMW as it was a different tyre size.

Well worth it in my opinion if you want to be able to get about in adverse weather conditions :nod:
Useful info mate! I keep seeing adverts for the Continental Winter tires... may have to invest in some of these Pirelli's you speak so highly of!! :D

Mike

Reaction score
Country
My standard nissan wheels came with some brand of snow tyre on! Dont plan on driving the 15 through winter but going to try put the tyres on my van so if we get a big dump of the white stuff i can take our boarding gear up the hills that we had to walk up last year!! :)

drifter

Reaction score
Country
I won't be using the S15 in the snow, but the daily will get it's Nokian WRG2 winter boots on. Mega grip in the snow :nod:

Reaction score
Country
Useful info mate! I keep seeing adverts for the Continental Winter tires... may have to invest in some of these Pirelli's you speak so highly of!! :D
The Pirelli's were Icesports, but I don't think you can get them over here.
The new ones I've bought are Yokohama W-drives. I got them from Rare Rims on the SXOC.