What's new

Immense Steering Judder

wutang200

Reaction score
Already have this posted up on the SXOC but I got very mixed responses so thought I'd post up here to see if anyone can shed any light.

This has really started to do my head in now.

My steering vibrates very badly between 70 - 85. It's almost unbearable and when I turn slightly at those speeds, it gets even worse. High speed cornering is the same when taken above 70. It's driving me nuts!

I had my front wheels balanced just 2 weeks ago for TOTB but didn't make any difference at all.

It all started after I had my Evo 9 big brakes fitted with caliper brackets made by DB Power. The kit wasn't a straight fit and the caliper had to be skimmed where the holes are for the bolts. It all works well apart from the immense steering judder.

Before this, I had stock brakes which also used to judder between 70 - 80 but not this bad.

I got new track rod ends fitted a month ago as my old ones had lots of play but this hasn't made much difference either.

When my local mechanic jacked the car up and checked for side to side play, there was none at all. He also checked the arms and they were fine along with the bushes.

The car feels unstable at high speed cornering and feels like the front could break loose any second. The rear feels planted.

Any ideas

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Really I would say check the wheel balance again. Some weight may have come off etc. or your wheels may be bent! Who balances them? Kwickfit tyres?
Do you get wheel wobble when you brake?
Are you sure the arms have no play? as mine do and is not uncommon to misdiagnose track rod ends instead of play in the arm joint.

Reaction score
Country
Warped discs? Worn front suspension? Flat spots on tyres? Wheel balance? Worn steering / control arm bushes? Wheel bearings?

Cant be much else I would have thought..

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I would vote for warped discs.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I have to say it defo won't be the brembo conversion itself as I have the exact same kit and mine is fine.
As above really,on extra thing maybe check sterring rack bushes mine were knackered and I got real bad vibration around that speed,I got superpro bushes they are easy to fit(bout 45 min) and only about£ 30-40 worth doing imo

wutang200

Reaction score
Hmm it definitely can't be the discs as they were brand new when I had them fitted. The wheels have been balanced numerous times and I'm quite confident it's not that. The mechanic would have known if they needed any weights adding when balancing.

Track rod ends are just 2 months old so I doubt it's them.

I'll get another appointment booked so the whole thing can be checked out again as it's definitely not right still!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Get the old brakes fitted back on and test it, if it all started around the new brakes fitting then gotta be something to do with that!!

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
as said defo get the steering bushes looked at ,mine used to moved a good 10cm left to right at 80 before i changed them they were that knackered!

Reaction score
Check you wheel bearing I had similar issue and was defective bearing.

Or the machining on the caliper isn't making it run true with disc. Or caliper bracket aren't true making calipers offline.

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
It all started after I had my Evo 9 big brakes fitted with caliper brackets made by DB Power. The kit wasn't a straight fit and the caliper had to be skimmed where the holes are for the bolts. It all works well apart from the immense steering judder.
Could it be that the discs are not central on the hubs???