What's new

Older car lose more horse power

Reaction score
Country
It's a fact with any car. Over time they loose hp, the lose can be reduced by good maintenance however a few horses are still going to escape due to engine wear and age. As long as you look for a well maintained item then the loss will be minimal :thumbs:

Reaction score
I think youll find that cars built in the 70's are no where near the engineered vehicles of the past decade.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
It's not always true that older cars lose power.... A sweet engine thats been well serviced can make factory power many years and miles after being built. Case in point being a friends fto... At a rolling road day where everything was tested under the same conditions it produced 2bhp over factory power using 95ron and no modifications with well over 100k on the clock, many newer, lower mileage ftos with and without modifications qnd running higher octane fuel performed far worse on the day.... Something as stupid as a tiny leak in a vacuum/boost hose or a clogged fuel filter etc can cause massive power loss - it's all a case of keeping everything in shape and well serviced and I don't think you can go wrong :)

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Well honestly its mainly about the auxiliary parts than the engine itself. If the turbo is good, the manifolds are good and secure, the VAC lines are okay, the MAP sensor is okay, the Solenoids are okay, the injectors are ok, fuel pump is okay....... and the list can go on forever d:

Many cars after even 15 - 20 years still retain their standard horsepower - depends who's been looking after the car and replacing things as they see fit ;)

Reaction score
Country
many cars when first out of factory makes different power in the first place. My wife drives an s2000 and during one of their club dyno sessions, her car made 208bhp (hers stock)while others with light mods made under 200. I think the cars rated Hp is only a guide so expect it to vary since engines are hand assembled to certain extent. Also each part has a tolerance which when put together varies again. So if you are lucky u could start with a really good base which after years of driving may now be comparable to a lower mileage car.