Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Finally had all the bits together, so decided this weekend was the one :nod:

BEFORE

AFTER

Small customisation... ;)

Fitted the Z32 BMC too to get a better braking ratio for the rears.

Not tried them properly yet. Need to get a garage brake bleed down. Still air in the system after two full bleeds. To be expected with a new BMC, I suppose... :( Handbrake works though :p Needed quite a bit of tightening though. Probably needs the shoes moving out a bit :nod:

T

Tom

they look the business :thumbs: and your custom detailing is a touch of class altogether :notworthy: . so roughly what did the whole conversion cost?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
What did it cost me, or how much could you do it for?

Cost me around ?350, I think. However, that included brand new parking brake components, the two new Skyline handbrake cables, new Red Stuff pads. The discs and callipers were 2nd hand, but in very good nick.

I'm told that you can do it for ?200ish if you're willing to find all the bits 2nd hand. After seeing the state of the parking brake off an S13 (they're the same), I decided that I wanted those bits new :p TBH, if you've got all the bits for ?200, I think quite a few will be ropey...

T

Tom

hmmm that sounds like a good job well done. but i'd love to know how much better the braking is over the standard set up.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I've only heard good things.

from importnut.net said:
Since I did not have the master cylinder when I swapped the calipers and rotors, I had the opportunity to drive the 240 around with the stock master cylinder. The brake pedal was soggy prior to the brake swap and worse with 3 times as many caliper pistons. Although the the pedal was soggy, it was immediately apparent that the brakes were more effective. Braking effort was improved as well as fade resistance.

After installing the 300ZX master cylinder, I fell in love with my 240 all over again! The pedal feel is better than any car I have ever felt. The proportioning of the brakes with the new master cylinder is absolutely perfect. Setup for trail braking and you'll have it. Panic brake and the car stops true. I'm absolutely impressed with the brakes.

S

Speedy

Looks like a worth while upgrade :thumbs:. I didnt know S15 rears had disc/shoe combinations tho?

S

Speedy

Ahh now i fully understand what the upgrade was all about i did re-look at the pictures and noticed the rubber bung on the disc for adjustusting the shoes up :thumbs: We have the shoe/calipers on some of the Mazda's, seems to work pretty good and eliminated the chance of handbrake failing after a spirited drive.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You'd enjoy that particular bit then. You have to wack the fook out of it to get the assembly bolt through the hole in the knuckle :p

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Just to follow up. The AMG front discs I'm trialling have turned up :D How big do you reckon?

Hints: 18s and R32 GTR callipers required...

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Very good guide there, will need to read it a few time (while saving for parts) then attempt it myself :nod:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The brake bleeding is the biggest PITA. The pedal was so bad initially that I've taken the Z32 BMC off to fit a piston kit. Fitted the old BMC back, and now I'm not sure the seals were gone. There's pressure, but right at the bottom. With the Z32, I'd bled, bled, rebled and put it in to get a proper vacuum bled done. Exactly the same.

Apparently, a number of people have had this probably initially and it took a number of bleeds and runs to get the air out. I'd even followed the correct BMC fitting proceedure in the manual... :(

I've just bought one of these off EGay. Should make it a bit easier for future bleeding.