What's new

Tein edfc connection issue

D

double exposure

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can help me. To cut a long story short the other week I took my car to get stretched tyres fitted and coil overs adjusted (lowered) by what is thought to be quite a reputable place for this type of work (won't name which one) when upon picking up the car I'm informed to my horror that the front coil overs are not connected to the edfc.

I had no issue prior to taking the car there, in fact I had just adjusted them a couple of days before hand and now they tell me that they aren't even connected. When I switch power on for the edfc it reads error and the buttons light up red not even allowing me to adjust the rears. this really ****s me as there was no issue prior to having this work done even though they claim they had nothing to do with the electrics (hook spanners used for mechanical lowering).

Now I can see the wires that connect from the top of the coil overs are not connected to anything but I cannot find what they should connect to. It almost looks like they had cut it because I can't see a plug which i would assume would lead to another plug. All thats visible is a black cord with a yellow and blue wire sticking out. What ****s me even more is that they deny they had anything to do with it since they claim "we don't touch electronics."
Funny cause when I had arrived there early to pick up the car I notice the bonnet is up, now that would been unnecessary when lowering teins and fitting tyres so it seems kinda dodge.

The suspension is tein flex, does anyone know a reputable place I can take this to have it looked at or does anyone know anything a bout the wiring set up for the fronts? Cheers!

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I haven't fitted my EDFC as yet, but you should be able to follow the wiring loom from the controller to the stepper motor at the top of the strut. From memory it will be 2 wires with a plug on the end and the connection to the EDFC stepper motor should be within about 6 inches of the stepper motor itself. If you need more help, I can take a picture of my wiring so you know what you are looking for. Unfortunately being aftermarket fitment, the wiring could be run anywhere.

They could have taken your coilovers out to adjust them. Not sure why they would have to do this but it is the only possible conclusion I can come up with. Maybe the EDFC is getting confused because it can't see your front stepper motors.

As for somewhere to take the car, I don't really know anyone in Melbourne, If you were in Sydney, I could give you a pretty good list.

D

double exposure

Ok have checked all the wiring that connects inside the car and it looks like the wire that plugs into the strut has been cut or broken. Looks like When adjusting the coils they had taken a turn causing the the wires to tense up and break.

The smart thing to do would have been to unplug the wires connected to the strut so that the wire does not twist in the lowering process and then break under the tension caused by the wire being plugged in.

Frustrating as they admit to nothing now will be costly to fix.

Thanks for your help mate.

Will have to look into getting it soldered maybe?

Reaction score
Country
i know what you mean about taking your car too places that are meant to be great at what they do and getting let down, once mag & turbo cross threaded two of my front studs when changing tires no big deal but still aren't they meant to be the pro's

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
If the wiring isn't too badly damaged, you could just get some alternate connectors from Jaycar or Dick Smith and use them (LINK: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PP2020).

Alternatively you could solder them, but you could end up with the same problem in the future.

It sucks that they have done that. I would definately ring them and talk to the owner / manager and say it is definately not good enough. They have damaged your car and lied about it. The person that did the job should be made aware of their mistake so it doesn't happen again.

D

double exposure

I tried to do this as they made me aware the fronts weren't working when picking up the car. I disputed this and they just lied to my face saying it was already like that. If I call them they will admit too nothing just like they did in person. It's hard to trust many workshops these days and so frustrating. Makes me wanna stop modding all together. :mad: