What's new

S15 Spec R

Reaction score
Country
Hello guys,

I currently own an EG6 but in the near future I hope to own a Spec R S15, are there any common problems associated with these cars?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to enhance my knowledge of these cars :)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
There aren't really any common problems - just look out for the usual when your buying. Check the useful links too, theres lots of buyers info in there..

When you sell your EG6 put an ad on here too please. I'm after a SiR for track toy ;)

Reaction score
Country
There aren't really any common problems - just look out for the usual when your buying. Check the useful links too, theres lots of buyers info in there..

When you sell your EG6 put an ad on here too please. I'm after a SiR for track toy ;)
thanks Craig, guess after im finished modding the civic I can start to save for a Silvia!

Acouple of other questions;

What is the fuel consumption like on Spec R's?
How readily available are OEM parts?
What are the best sites to purchase aftermarket parts?

And yeah I will post it on here lol just drop a K20 into it and it will decimate all!!!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Fuel consumption on mine has been between 12-35mpg. Yes, it does vary that much! OEM parts are available from Nissan (at high cost) or Japan/Australia for a bit less. Aftermarker parts - well my favourite sites are RHDJapan or FRSport

Yes, a K20'd EG would be a weapon. Especially as K20's are slightly lighter than B16/18's!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Yes, a K20'd EG would be a weapon. Especially as K20's are slightly lighter than B16/18's!
Excpect the k20 sounds gay and B-series sound b e a utiful! No k series has that insane note change like the B's! B18c for the win! 60% of the time, everytime!!

Reaction score
Excpect the k20 sounds gay and B-series sound b e a utiful! No k series has that insane note change like the B's! B18c for the win! 60% of the time, everytime!!
I agree the B's sound nicer and love the changeover. My mate has a 250hp DC5 with kpro and shiz but dont sound like my old 9 or his old dc2 in my eyes.

Reaction score
Oh yeah parts to be aware of on them is coilpacks are common.I have put splitfires in mine.

And i would agree with Craig's MPG range it really depends on what type of driving your doing. motorway at 60 will see you near 35mpg if your lucky but around town mixed with a play expect low 20s.

Im running nistune which is like hondata but for the nissan and uses the standard ecu but the inside is upgraded in the same manner. This is supposed to improve fuel but after all the power/torque has gone up I think its worse but that maybe my driving now i have the extra.

One thing with the S15 that will be very diffrerent to you civic is that you wont have to wrork for the power nearly as much and can overtake in 6th at 50mph lol.. the honda would have to go to 3rd.

but that said I still have a soft spot for old Hondas :)

K

kieran@silverback

me Too!

i love the hondas, such good fun on the track my brother has a eg civic with b20 conversion and my girlfriend has a dc5 with jackson racing super charger, both are a hoot to drive

Reaction score
Country
Oh yeah parts to be aware of on them is coilpacks are common.I have put splitfires in mine.

And i would agree with Craig's MPG range it really depends on what type of driving your doing. motorway at 60 will see you near 35mpg if your lucky but around town mixed with a play expect low 20s.

Im running nistune which is like hondata but for the nissan and uses the standard ecu but the inside is upgraded in the same manner. This is supposed to improve fuel but after all the power/torque has gone up I think its worse but that maybe my driving now i have the extra.

One thing with the S15 that will be very diffrerent to you civic is that you wont have to wrork for the power nearly as much and can overtake in 6th at 50mph lol.. the honda would have to go to 3rd.

thanks for the information. The S15 will be around 2/3 years away, I just want to determine whether it is a fesiable next car or not. What is the avaliability of OEM parts? Is there any good S15 breakers that I should be aware of?

Reaction score
Biggest problem with them is, you can't stop looking at them when you have bought them, and resisting the urge to tune them a little is sooooo hard. Everyone say's to you "Is it a Skyline?"
BMW drivers get pissy when you woop their ass... And every Vauxhall Vectra and Zafira driver reckons they can out accelerate, brake and corner you..Even with their wife and kid's aboard..
Apart from these little niggles, they are the best looking Nissan if not Japanese car out there... IMO..

Good luck with finding one and cheapest ain't always best. Look at as many as you can before you hand over any cash.. Try and buy as close to standard as you can then you can decide the mods and know what's fitted, bolt on air filters Exhaust systems are common and usually no bother.
If it has uprated suspension make sure you like the feel of the ride, and ask the seller if you can drive it with the suspension settings at soft and hard, good way to see if it's adjustment is working and what you have to play with. Gearbox whine is common mainly in 6th, as this gear sits higher in the box and can get less oil, extra 200ml in the box at service time helps this little issue. Mine whines but still functions fine. Mechanicals are cheaper then bodywork and trim, so get as mint example body and trim wise as you can. There are some bodgers out there, and everyone's perception of Pristine is very different..

Reaction score
Country
Biggest problem with them is, you can't stop looking at them when you have bought them, and resisting the urge to tune them a little is sooooo hard. Everyone say's to you "Is it a Skyline?"
BMW drivers get pissy when you woop their ass... And every Vauxhall Vectra and Zafira driver reckons they can out accelerate, brake and corner you..Even with their wife and kid's aboard..
Apart from these little niggles, they are the best looking Nissan if not Japanese car out there... IMO..

Good luck with finding one and cheapest ain't always best. Look at as many as you can before you hand over any cash.. Try and buy as close to standard as you can then you can decide the mods and know what's fitted, bolt on air filters Exhaust systems are common and usually no bother.
If it has uprated suspension make sure you like the feel of the ride, and ask the seller if you can drive it with the suspension settings at soft and hard, good way to see if it's adjustment is working and what you have to play with. Gearbox whine is common mainly in 6th, as this gear sits higher in the box and can get less oil, extra 200ml in the box at service time helps this little issue. Mine whines but still functions fine. Mechanicals are cheaper then bodywork and trim, so get as mint example body and trim wise as you can. There are some bodgers out there, and everyone's perception of Pristine is very different..

Guess I am already used to family cars trying to out run me lol if and when I am ready to look for one of these cars my budget will be around £9-10k so hopefully I will be able to pick up a decent little standard one :thumbs:

Close to standard is what I will be on the hunt for, and I suppose it will be my first turbo'd car so I wouldnt have wanted somebody else tinkering with the engine!

Are there any imports that I should be contacting over others? I have been going through Pistonheads and SVA Imports keeps on popping up but in saying that there was a thread on this forum which shed a different light upon them. Although acouple of members have been mentioning the company Torque GT, has anybody had any experiences with them?

S

spanner_monkey

This is very helpful for me, I'm selling my dc2 and buying an s15, I was wondering about fuel costs/mpg. To be fair it doesn't sound like a bad figure to be going on, probably not much less than the dc2 either, due to needing to hit vtec to go quick!

And in response to the earlier post, I've driven both b18 and a k20, the 20's are quicker but there is no sound like a B hitting vtec, screaming perfection!!!!

Reaction score
Country
This is very helpful for me, I'm selling my dc2 and buying an s15, I was wondering about fuel costs/mpg. To be fair it doesn't sound like a bad figure to be going on, probably not much less than the dc2 either, due to needing to hit vtec to go quick!

And in response to the earlier post, I've driven both b18 and a k20, the 20's are quicker but there is no sound like a B hitting vtec, screaming perfection!!!!

I'm currently trying to work out the MPG on my EG6, and when I calculate that I can compare to an S15 lol but just like all cars it depends on how you drive the car! And with my Civic I don't tend to VTECCCCCCCC everywhere lol

One question to current S15 owners; how much is the road tax for a year?

And on the discussion of Honda engines; the scream of a B16a2 in 3rd gear at 8,500RPM is immense :D

Reaction score
Torque GT are good, the bloke there is spot on and really willing to help out with what you need, I haven't bought a car from him but a good friend of mine has had a couple of cars from him R32 GTR and a R34 Gts. and been nothing but great experience. He helped me out with a speedo converter for mine, after SVA imports piece of ****e didn't work and then they had the cheek to say it was my fault! Clifford alarm fitter fitted it, so I'm sure he is capable.. Still waiting for my refund!! from 3+ months ago. This is my experience of SVA... I am sure other people have had great service, but that's just how life is sometimes..

Reaction score
Country
Torque GT are good, the bloke there is spot on and really willing to help out with what you need, I haven't bought a car from him but a good friend of mine has had a couple of cars from him R32 GTR and a R34 Gts. and been nothing but great experience. He helped me out with a speedo converter for mine, after SVA imports piece of ****e didn't work and then they had the cheek to say it was my fault! Clifford alarm fitter fitted it, so I'm sure he is capable.. Still waiting for my refund!! from 3+ months ago. This is my experience of SVA... I am sure other people have had great service, but that's just how life is sometimes..
Thanks for that information mate, hopefully when I am looking for one I can purchase one from a member off this forum!

But answer me this, how much do you pay for road tax?

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I pay £205 :) I think its luck of the draw when it comes into the country as some people pay more, and some less???

My car also came from Torque GT, albeit for the previous owner, but she was very happy with the service.

Reaction score
Country
I pay £205 :) I think its luck of the draw when it comes into the country as some people pay more, and some less???

My car also came from Torque GT, albeit for the previous owner, but she was very happy with the service.

well I already pay around £200 for the Civic, so that should be fine!

Just need to find an insurance company who will insure me for an S15, Quinn Direct wont cover me :(

Reaction score
Road tax is PLG now coz Dvla have had a titfull of workin everything out and insure it with admiral/elephant/diamond coz they only class spec r as group 16 as long as it's stock...... cheep'd cheed!!!:nod:

Reaction score
Country
Road tax is PLG now coz Dvla have had a titfull of workin everything out and insure it with admiral/elephant/diamond coz they only class spec r as group 16 as long as it's stock...... cheep'd cheed!!!:nod:
Thanks for the recommendation of insurance companies :) but pardon my ignorance what does PLG stand for?