What's new

I fitted my manual boost controller today! :) wooooo yeah!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
As tittle says! I've been running stock boost for 2 months whilst I got used to the car. Now after fitting the manual boost controller woooow what a difference. No more waiting for boost to slowly build up, man it transforms the car! :D

I'm only running it at a peak of .8-.9 bar but as it spools up so much faster it feels a different car! I love s15's!!!! Bring on japfest!

Reaction score
Country
i got a manual boost controller fitted on mine which like you said transformed the car im running just under a bar and had it rolling roaded only at 268bhp and i have a fair few mods.i take it by manual controlller you mean a bleed valve?

Reaction score
Country
I think yakoozan was running like 0,74 bar.. and ended up with 280-290 bhp.. thats reeealy good..

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
take care with a manual boost controller (reed valve type) as they tend to boost spike.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Well I've actually changed to EBC now as just allows more easy control over different boost settings. Hi and low. And I picked up an early profec b for £50, bargain! Nothing wrong with reed valve/manual boost controller but yes defo get spring and ball/reed valve type.
Meddler can you explain boost spike alittle more, I get the basic principle but in driving terms is a spike when your on constant throttle and it spikes all of a sudden, or is it when you put your foot down and accelerate and it's spikes at the point of initial throttle.
Also a word of warning Matt, I had mine set at 0.8-.9 bar and it was running awfully lean in mid range caausing Detenation. So mine now only runs .7-.8 until the remap.

Reaction score
Country
if you car was running really lean at .9 run only 98 Oct and adjust your plug gap to suit whatever boost you want to run and put in colder plugs as well, 7 or colder, im still on my factory ECU fuel map and run 1bar no det or knock

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
When you accelerate the boost increases, the problem with the reed valve is that the boost is not accurately controlled and the boost con go over the preset level by quite a lot which can cause all types of problems, detination being one. With an EBC the boost is controlled electronically and usually within much tighter limits so you don't overboost.

Reaction score
Country
yeah i was worryed about fueling etc but when i had it on the rolling road i asked if it was fueling fine throughout and it was all good thank god :).im currently trying to get hold of a EBC myself my mate has one but he is taking a long time to find the wiring etc.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
if you car was running really lean at .9 run only 98 Oct and adjust your plug gap to suit whatever boost you want to run and put in colder plugs as well, 7 or colder, im still on my factory ECU fuel map and run 1bar no det or knock
I've switched to bcpr7es now, gapped to .7. Changing them every 5k and regularly checking the gap. When it was lean I was using iridiums gapped at 1.1 and the only premium fuel in my town is 97 octane. You live and you learn! It really is a bitch, hence why I need a remap, as It's my daily driver and the nearest 98-99 petrol station is 38 mile round trip. Not really worth it in my eyes.

Reaction score
Country
if you haven't already a good early upgrade is the fuel pump to help stave this off, the famous Walbro 255 is cheap and works brilliantly, (no plastic gearing like the stock or Chinese ones)
Also ignore the part of the iridiums packaging that says no need to gap the plug, year in a stock standard car..... maybe