What's new

Gearbox whine....?????

Reaction score
Country
Ive had a whine coming from my gearbox when going slow, mainly in first since i bought the car... its a bearing or something like that isnt it?? and also can someone just educate me on whats causing it and ill have the gearbox off in a few months while im doing the clutch so is it something i can change then??

And one more thing, is there a specific clutch for s15s bearing in mind the dual mass flywheel or will an s14 clutch fit??

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Nah, the fly's are different and not interchangable, but the basic clutch kits are the same. The S14 has a sprung pressure plate as they don't have the dual mass fly, but it still fits and works perfectly. I've been running a S14 ACT HD kit for around 2 years now :)

Reaction score
Website
www.driftworks.com
Country
^^^ when does the noise happen in relation to the clutch position? normally, its the layshaft bearing on these boxes, infact, nissan boxes in general. I'm assuming you've been drifting or something, that normally slackens them up enough lol.

what i meant about the clutches is that craig's statement was a little ambiguous!

Reaction score
Country
^^^ when does the noise happen in relation to the clutch position? normally, its the layshaft bearing on these boxes, infact, nissan boxes in general. I'm assuming you've been drifting or something, that normally slackens them up enough lol.

what i meant about the clutches is that craig's statement was a little ambiguous!

Its when your driving slow, mainly in first... i dont have the car long , so i have'nt drifted it yet but i have a feeling it was by the previous owner

Reaction score
Website
www.driftworks.com
Country
so its only in first when you are going slow? does the car have a standard clutch / diff? if you are sat at idle and depress the clutch pedal does the noise stop? or is it not constant? I'd say its nothing to worry about, unless its very loud and grindy sounding lol

Reaction score
Country
so its only in first when you are going slow? does the car have a standard clutch / diff? if you are sat at idle and depress the clutch pedal does the noise stop? or is it not constant? I'd say its nothing to worry about, unless its very loud and grindy sounding lol
its not the release bearing, i know what that sounds like, im fairly handy around sr20's , the release bearing is quite loud on its own, but im upgrading the clutch during the summer.... it just whines in first, say if you were in traffic and you were only moving the car a few metres at a time..... it whines then, and only then. No other problems, selects gears fine and drives fine

Reaction score
Website
www.driftworks.com
Country
could be various things, simple answer is, ignore it! lol. thicker oil might help, but i'd bet on it being the start of layshaft bearing buggery, which again, you dont really need to worry about imho :)

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hiya man,

I've got the same with mine, it's been looked at before by H-Dev and considered nothing to worry about, I've had it all off for clutch/flywheel changes, diff etc and nothin was found.

I've had mine for quite a while now and haven't had any issues with it...

ALS

its not the release bearing, i know what that sounds like, im fairly handy around sr20's , the release bearing is quite loud on its own, but im upgrading the clutch during the summer.... it just whines in first, say if you were in traffic and you were only moving the car a few metres at a time..... it whines then, and only then. No other problems, selects gears fine and drives fine