What's new

Forged or stock

Reaction score
Country
Well im going to uprate loads of parts on the S15 like HKS GTRS turbo, 256 HKS cams, metal headgasket with all other supporting mods, also having new big ends, timing chain etc

now while the engine is stripped down for the extra monies would it be worth having forged rods and pistons?

will be running around 400bhp but going up to around 450bhp in the future once gearbox has been replaced

Cheers, Nick

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
thats an easy one :)
if you are having the whole thing stripped, and your target power is 450hp then forge it. it's not going to be much more in labour as they are already there, just the extra parts cost.

my mate was in a similar situation the other day, he needs his wrx engine rebuilt/forged and ended up going for a 2.1 stroker as it's best to replace the crank on a scooby rebuild anyway if it's down to shells - won't cost a lot more than the regular forge (think it was about 150-00 lol)...

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
If you are looking to run 400-450 then forge the engine even if its not a stroker kit and its just forged pistons and conrods and get your stock crank knife edged,
I have just bought a full HKS Step 3 Head System and 2.2 Stroker kit & Cylinder Liner's though I am looking for 450+ at the wheels.
On the GTRS Turbo I wont think you would make that figure at the wheels though you need at least a GT30 style Turbo but again its depending if your figure is crank or wheels?

What gearbox are you planning on running on it?

Reaction score
Country
I will most probably run 400bhp at the fly as my turbo like you said wont go much further than that, will run the six speed for the time being as this engine if I go forged is gunn cost a fortune :( plan on going for an RB box or the HPI six speed thats good for 420PS

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
Trust me dude it does lol I think so far just in the engine I am looking around £7000 thats not inc mani or inlet side of things just engine, custom machining, gaskets, chain kit, fuel pump etc

Yea I would say an RB box with a custome prop will be the best bet are you would be likley to go through a few 5speed boxes if your going to be drifting :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
You can run 400 fly on the sr without forging it and with a good map it should still be reliable. . . Just the head gasket and studs with perhaps some cams springs and retainers :)

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
Though to be honest if you are chaning the springs your aswell to do cams etc while your at it for all its worth really, just depends what you want from the car :)

Reaction score
Website
fctuning.com
All depends on your driving style and setup ... 335-360whp (around 400 @ fly) on the SR20DET engine is easily achievable with just a little GT3071

but add a set of cams, retainers, solid lifters and you can then really wind things up (preferably externally gated) for better boost control.

Forged is the way to go for Ultimate reliability (as they engines are seeing nearly 10 years use and revitalising things always addeds to longer life and reliability)

saying that, ive still plenty of SR customers running 400+hp @ flywheel on stock blocks

a recent forged SR which I did which had fitted ext gated 3071, 86housing, Tomei 260s, solid lifters, forged 1mm oversize. stock gearbox (CA18 internals), FCTuning Nistune ECU Solutions. 1.8bar)

His limitation was his injectors. he only had 740cc on a stock reg and puny walbro, when id have preferred he bought 1000cc and A propa Bosch 044 pump, or atleast have it fitted inline and to just use the walbro as a feeder to a s-pot

still.. goes well, as they all do ;)

http://fctuning.com/fctwp/?p=1580

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
With a 9000rpm limmit it will be :wack: done as youv just said about steve, sold my nismo 740cc injectors and getting 1000cc HKS injectors now with a topmount fuel rail aswell as a D-Jetro FC so I wont need to worry about maxing out the Z32 AFM :)