What's new

MOT Breakdown

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Had my MOT yesterday which Im please to say was an easy pass :nod:

Unfortunatley while driving home down some twisty country lanes there was suddenly a loud 'PSSSSST' and my car slowly concked out and I ground to a halt :(

Put on the hazards and got out to have a look under the hood as my first thought was it sounded boost related, but was not sure why this would cause my car to totally die at the time.

All the hoses looked good and after a couple of mins I went to try again, car cranked, fired up and then the revs just dropped off until it stalled again.

I then went back to have another look still could not see anything, and it was not until I started making a phone call and walked away from the front of the car I noticed the hot pipe had blown off the coupling hose on the intercooler.

Luckly I was not too far from home so had a few tools dropped off and did a bit of road side recovery to get the hose connected back and finish my journey.

So so so glad it was not something else as all sorts of things started going through my head when it first happened :rotfl:

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Yeah loud noises from the engine aren't good normaly. A boost pipe popped of mine on full boost and it made the loudest bang, I crapped myself, thought I had blown a piston or something...

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
phew, good news then :). i thought the worst when i started reading (hasn't been a good week, a friend just found out the bottom end has gone on an impreza with 39k on the clock that he's had 3 days) but glad to hear it's nothing. i remember when the re-circ pipe popped off my bov, sounded amazing with compressor surge - but ran like a bag of crap.....

are you using the apex mikkalor style clamps? i binned all mine as they dont seem to give enough feel for being tight enough, plus the fact i kept grazing myself on all the studs that stick out. switched for jcs hi-grip.....

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Yeah I was very relieved when I realised what it was :)

It's the Apex clips yeah, for some reason it was really loose when I got to it, so I've done them very tight now.

I'm always a little hesitant to do any of the clips up to tight incase they split the hoses.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ah really glad Darren it was just boost piping... you had me worried when I was starting to read this!! :wack:

Yeah like Adam says the first time I did a turbo gasket change and added braided lines, my mates and I worked on the S15 all night until 4.00am. I was knackered and it was wet and cold so everything seemed ok on the test drive (at 4.00am!!) until I booted her just before I got home she went BANG!!!! I was like no, no, no the engine has friggin' blown :(

There was black smoke coming out exhaust and she was lumpy like on 3 cylinders lol...

Turns out if was only the hotpipe before the intercooler piping that had not been put back on tight enough so a re-insert and 10mm socket did the trick... BIG RELIEF!!!!! :D