What's new

rocker cover help

S

specR_s15

Hi all,

I was putting the s15 sr20det rocker cover back on and we over tighten the middle bolt and lost tread and snapped the bolt, now the bottom of the bolt is stuck on the engine head.
We tried using the EASY OUT TOOL to try and remove the snapped bolt from the head but no luck.

Is it okay to drive the s15 with one less bolt (middle bolt, see last pic below) of the rocker cover?
Will it affect my driving, damage engine?

I'm guessing that area of the rocker cover has a gasket and is okay??:confused:

This pic is how my engine head looks like, as you can see by the arrow that's where the bolts end is stuck.

Thanks All

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I think it should be ok, the rocker cover dosen't take a lot of pressure.. I have one snapped bolt on the left hand side and its fine, don't worry about it..

S

specR_s15

cheers,

I was worried there for a bit because I use it as my daily. Will probably get it fixed once I get the engine rebuilt in a year or 2.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i'd say it will be ok too....the bolts around the outside of the rocker will give enough pressure to seal the central gasket too - the thing about these bolts is they are designed to bottom out so you shouldn't be able to over tighten them, they will only do up so much and that is it.

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
How tight did you do them up?

These bolts only need to be 10Nm (not much more than hand tight) and should be tightened up in numerical order as shown in the manual.