What's new

Need some help!

I

ibizatom

Hey everyone,

Originally I was after a S15, but sadly count afford to buy one, so got a Skyline R34 GTT. But after checking my monthly bills going out, it seems that a certain insurance had mis-sold me car insurance, so now the Skyline has to go. :(

But here is the question.

I have been approached by someone who has a mint and standard S15 with 40k on the clock (year 2000) but is located in Portugal. At first I thought this was a scam but I am still unsure. He has given me the reg plate and checked the car out (still has uk plates on, so still a uk registered car) and nothing has come up at all.

I have had quite a lot of info about the car which matches what he says, even a copy of the last uk MOT also.

The guy said he is willing to throw in a full manual conversion as well as drive to u Calais as a worst case scenario to meet up and do the swap (I take the S15 and he has the R34 GTT)

Does this seem like a scam. Not sure if this is genuine or a just too good to be true.,

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
sounds a bit fishy to me.....then again anything that involves foreign emails and meeting to swap cars sounds fishy.... could just be me, this could be that time where the person is 100% genuine

I

ibizatom

I have had a few others say it sounds odd, but for some reason I feel this person is genuine. :(

Just checked another document I had and its a MOT History from when the car was in the Uk, from Direct Gov.

Details removed upon request.

Last edited:
I

ibizatom

I have just sent him an email asking this. I really do hope this is genuine as it seems to be a really good deal.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Two things to me are the most important...

1. As Dan H says you really must get a previous owner to vouch for this car and the condition it was sold to current owner.

2. Be prepared to meet this guy in Calais but be 100% prepared to walk away if the car is not in the condition it's described. It's too tempting to just travel 100 miles, view a car and accept faults but will be harder when you've travelled all the way to Calais. And make sure the seller knows that!!

I

ibizatom

Thanks for all the help people.

Well I had a few emails back from him and he bought it from a guy on SXOC and has proof of that. Seems totally genuine. But now is the sensible part of me coming out.

As much as I would want a S15, with the price of petrol going up, and me using the car a daily drive, I have decided not to go for it now, main reason is that someone has offered me a Mk2 Seat Leon Diesel pushing around 190bhp and 300lbs torque, which for a daily drive is much better. I know if I did go for the silvia I would have to fork out money to get the car to Calais, plus insurance, plus petrol, just seems too much bother. Get the car this Saturday.

I mean only 23 so still quite young. Can always get a nice fast car at a later date, next year maybe. lol.

Anyway, thanks for the help though.

B

BOOSSHH

oh dear, its all about having fast cars when your young and reckless lol , i'm looking at getting an s15 when i can sell my MK2 RS and i've only just turned 21 lol be impulsive

I

ibizatom

Well surprise surprise, the guy with the Leon was messing me around.

Said he couldn't get insurance for the car. Now because of this, I have decided to keep the car and swallow the insurance costs. Managed to get a deal which was £400 cheaper overall which is not too bad, still quite a lot but hey ho, I need a car to get to work.

S

S15 SILVIA

How much did you manage to get cover for in the end, with who?
I wouldn't of thought there would be that much difference in insuring an S15, and a GTT anyway?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Put it this way my Stagea cost slightly MORE to insure (it has same engine as R34 GTT RB25DET etc) than the S15... I was like WTF???!!! :wack: :wack:

It's a friggin' GRANDAD MOBILE (albeit a Jap grandad mobile lmao) :p

I

ibizatom

How much did you manage to get cover for in the end, with who?
I wouldn't of thought there would be that much difference in insuring an S15, and a GTT anyway?
S15 Spec R = £1k with bell as a one off payment.

R34 GTT = £2.3k with bell as a one off payment.

Put it this way my Stagea cost slightly MORE to insure (it has same engine as R34 GTT RB25DET etc) than the S15... I was like WTF???!!! :wack: :wack:

It's a friggin' GRANDAD MOBILE (albeit a Jap grandad mobile lmao) :p
I was told about the Skyline that it's simply because the car is what it is. Bit of a bummer but such as life. :(

Reaction score
Country
Hi Ibizatom,

I´m the S15 owner that is in Portugal . Not some nigerian scammer ;)

Unfortunately, a lot of people seems to think about the same thing. Don´t really understand why? as Portugal is not some 3rd World African country. Either way you should be the same caution when buying the cars from the other side of the road tbh.

I´ve had a couple of S13, one S14 and a R33 and now the S15. Feeling the urge to buy a R34, that´s why i´ve put up the S15 for sale. It´s very hard to sell a RHD car here in Portugal, so i guess it was easier to sell there, and pick up an R34.

Here in Portugal the main question are the car prices, that are rocket high. A S14a can reach around £10k and a stock average S13 shouldn´t be expecting less then £3k . There are no S15 or R34 around. They were never sold, as they were never made in LHD.

Insure wise, i can easly make you cry, because i pay around £150 a year for a 2000cc like the S15. And under £200 for 1 year minimum coverage for a 2500cc R33 GTS-T SKYLINE. oh, no mileage limit. hehehe . Of course full covers are more expensive, these are the basic.

So if you get your ideia on getting an S15 again, i´ll happly take the R34 of your hands

Regards,
Antonio

I

ibizatom

Lets just say I am still very interested in the car as the skyline is costing me both arms and legs to insure, mainly due to my age really but never mind.

I'll send over a pm later on.