What's new

Info needed on HKS GT-RS turbo

R

RoLLa777

Im replacing my s15 turbo,
im looking for info on the hks gt-rs turbo.
will it bolt straight on....

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
More expensive but slightly higher power output potential (and possibly spool up speed) compared to the Garret GT2871...

Also you always get the uprated HKS actuator as part of the GT-RS kit.

Reaction score
Country
I was also looking at getting a bigger turbo. Read a few threads and will probably go for the GT2871r. Is the 52 trim and 64 the best options for street?

Does the 2871 need a new manifold?

I've seen some kits which seem to be rather expensive, so was looking at buying the parts separately.

I'm not entirely sure what I need but is it - GT2871, gasket and braided lines?

Is there much else? I know very little about turbos so just trying to learn.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yes Nissan gaskets will do although have a chat to Conceptua Tuning when it comes to anything gasket related. They are very good suppliers although some owners will swear by Nissan gaskets.

Definitely DO NOT get cheap eBay tatty gaskets as these will more than likely fail early on in life and just cause more trouble than it's worth!! Even Nissan gaskets don't last years :wack:

Ray has fitted a GT-RS unit to his stunning Vertex blue S15 (do a member search)... drop him PM if anyone wants more info on this kit.

From what I've read getting the smaller A/R version of the GT2871 will allow you to benefit quicker spool up speeds of the turbo but I'm not an expert and Steve from FC Tuning or Adam L will have more experience and advice on these matters :thumbs:

To do the whole job assuming you have OEM turbo coolant (water) and oil feed lines you need:

GT2871r (or any T28 fitment turbo for it to be direct bolt on etc)
Exhaust mani -> turbo gasket (rectangular shape)
Turbo -> elbow gasket (weird 5 stud hole shape)
Coolant/water braided line x2
Oil braided line x1
Copper washers for braided lines

In my experience it's best to get new copper washers of the same ID - if you get Nissan ones you'll get the same type which are interlinked by a small copper 'shoulder' which keeps two washers attached... much easier to fit! If you re-use, since copper washers are designed to distort when fitted you might find one or more leaking (this is me being paranoid and using safe rather than sorry approach). The copper washers fit at each end where oil/water lines attach to block/turbo :)

Water/coolant braided turbo feed/lines - you need two of these because one takes water to turbo the other returns from turbo. Oil braided line you only need one because it takes oil to turbo from block but then returns to sump area using same hard pipe which stays where it is - assuming you are using similar T28 bolt on style turbo like 2871 etc.

Hose Solutions and a few other places should sell these braided line kits - Hose Solutions are cheaper but not sure if you get copper washers etc. Apex charged me a whopping £100 for water and oil braided lines but they had them in stock and I needed it asap so got raped :wack:

All the best :thumbs:

Reaction score
Website
fctuning.com
let me know if you need any info on that turbo and its performance whether it be on a

1 - stock SR20DET
2 - stock SR20DET + Cams
3 - Forged SR20DET + Cams and extras

ive tuned with most and also on RB25DETS .. yet to have someone with a CA bring one to me..

But they spool GREAT.!! REALLY good in fact :)