What's new

intercoolers, advice please

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I have needed to sort a front mount for quite a while now as my car is running over 1 bar on the wing mount which must be pretty much the limit for that.
But I really don't know which one to go for at the moment,have been reading up loads on the different types and if I am honest am now more confused and really could use some help.
The main ones I am looking at are
Autobahn88 is a tube and fin design,same size as the japspeed ,has low pressure drop and is a really good fit and has all aluminium piping
http://www.jperformance.co.uk/autob...det-front-mount-intercooler-kit-fm-p-172.html
Japspeed is bar and plate also low pressure drop and aluminium piping for better heat resistance
oh and the apex too
http://www.japspeed.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=361&strPageHistory=related
http://www.apexperformance.co.uk/ca...36&PHPSESSID=0a9da9f7d3f893b76a318b455da46adb
I have tried to find a definitive answer on which set up is best but had no luck really everyone says differently,apparently the tube and fin cools better and allows the rad to work better but because of the design is weaker and more prone to leaking,and damage. Bar and plate the way I see it is more suited to track work
My car is going to be mainly used on road so would I be better off with the autobahn or the japspeed? Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks
Chris

Last edited:

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
Don't go any of those **** China ones you listed, get a decent one from Japan - the TRUST/GREDDY LS-SPEC is very pocket friendly but still good quality and great fit. The extra you pay will definitely worth it!

Go tube and fin - you already know the benefits and if any cooler gets hit then they'll all get damaged. Actually I can't think of any Japanese tuners using B&P in their cooler kits.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
You say that but I have heard quite a few reviews about the greddy having problems.
The autobahn was what I was swaying towards as seems to have a lot of good feedback,normally they retail for 280 but I can get a brand new full kit for 175 that's a big saving over a greddy ic.
I do see what your saying about the cooler too,if a stone hits any cooler its gonna get damaged regardless!
I will have a look at pricing on some branded coolers too and do a bit more research,if they aren't that much more expensive and are actually worth the extra I may go for one,just I need a new rad too and gotta get my diff fitted,and brakes on didn't want to spend fortunes on an ic unless there really is a big benefit of doing so,I can't see there will be a massive difference though tbh..... And all the kits listed are tried and tested I haven't heard of anyone having problems with them

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
The pipe work on the Japspeed Intercoolers are ALOT better than the Apex kits, Reason I know is I have a Japspeed one and my mate has a Type1 Apex Kit
On one of the elbo pipes going into the intercooler on the apex kit is very sharp and not really smooth though the core's of the kits looks the same :)
price wise personaly they are roughly the same on sxoc I wouldnt bother going for the Trust - Greddy kits when these have been proved on Japspeed Cars and Apex Cars so saying they are rubbish and dont work isnt exactly true :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
That's what I was thinking,they have been proven,but on track that's the thing,I have read up loads on these different types,as u know have wanted a cooler for ages now! But from what I have read I reckon the tube and fin autobahn cooler may be the way to go as I won't be tracking the car anyways,I know craig has one and is happy with it,and as for fit I had heard the japspeed fits a lot better than the apex, so really between the bar and plate japspeed or the tube and fin autobahn , I think both roughly the same price both have aluminium pipework which is less conductive than the stainless pipe kit on the apex, just don't know which is going to be better for my car.......

Last edited:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
the apex type 1 kit is fine - fits perfect and all brackets and pipes line up :confused:

only time it wont fit perfect is when the hole is drilled in the wrong place on the battery tray. reason i'd sooner have the apex than the 'better quality' more expensive greddy is the alloy pipework will fur up pretty badly with our weather and go white and crusty....can't comment on the other kits though.....

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Never thought of that,you think stainless pipework will be more resiliant against our weather then?
I was only looking at performance wise that stainless conducts more heat than aluminium.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I've got no complaints about the Autobahn kit. Infact, it's really well made and fitment is perfect. You can keep the standard fogs too with this kit (not that this affects you) and it lines up perfectly with the OE bumpers.

Where have you found them for £175/kit?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Through their main uk distributor,I will send you a link mate,think its the kit to go for.
I am going to order it tomorrow unless I find a reason not to,and will let you know how much it is with postage etc but its a uk company selling it so should be a decent price.....

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
That's cheap. I want to get a new core for mine as it's gone a bit dull after 4 years of use. Theres no damage to it other than a few embedded kamikaze bugs! :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Defo going for the autobahn cooler now done a lot of research and think its gonna be the best ic for my car,gonna be more thaN expected but what can you do! The co I found doing it cheap wanted 107 shipping and handling even though they are registered in the uk lol so just gonna get it from autobahn uk direct,269 still a good price I reckon....

Reaction score
Country
Defo going for the autobahn cooler now done a lot of research and think its gonna be the best ic for my car,gonna be more thaN expected but what can you do! The co I found doing it cheap wanted 107 shipping and handling even though they are registered in the uk lol so just gonna get it from autobahn uk direct,269 still a good price I reckon....

Sorry to re hash old thread, but did you go for the autobahn one in the end dude? Could you send me a link to the site you ordered it off?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I did yes , and a few other have too . Good bit of kit. I go mine off a guy 2nd hand in the end as he was stripping his motor and was in good nick. I you google autobahn88 nissan s15 fmic kit you should find a few ;)

Reaction score
Country
Cheers lads, just purchased a different FMIC kit and its not a great fit. Does it fit ok? Having issues with this current kit as the cold pipe fouls the fan and fan shroud as well as not lining up correctly with the throttle body. Completely wasted a whole day.

Cheers again for info :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
I've spent a bit of time adjusting it to fit with my bumper and fog lights.
Theres a few things I'd change but overall I'm pleased with it. I think where you drill the hole in the battery tray dictates how well the install will go.

Reaction score
Is tha apex type 2 the only intercooler that doesn't require you to drill the battery tray?

I'm never going to run more than 320 bhp through mine so don't need some huge all singing all dancing one and I want to keep a stock look. The only downside I see is the pipe work is quite long and has some sharp bends.

Reaction score
Country
It's a copy of a JDM brand FMIC from what I remember. I think it's the only version easily available today though.