What's new

Gauging interest: S15 Aero rear spats

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'm not saying they will cause him trouble, they aren't very complex at all, but it would take anyone a fair amount of time to create the moulds and to trim each spat with the precision it would need for good fitment. That, combined with the low demand, makes them uneconomical at the price people are willing to pay IMO. I would advise him to take deposits before investing his time and money into it too.
I was only going to make them if they were as close as possible to the OEM ones with the same fitment method and everything included to do it properly. If you don't use the foam to attach them I think they may look a bit crap as you will have a bead of sealant visible opposed to an equal 2mm gap. The only alternative to this is to get the whole rear bumper painted after they have been bonded on. I'm sure he will realise this though and consider it beforehand.

I did a course courtesy of work on composite materials, carbon and kevlar in particular. It's amazing stuff when used in the correct way, which is with as little resin as possible. The best way to do this is by using the vacuum method and you get the lovely dry carbon finish too. :smitten:
The carbon parts you see with a gloss finish have next to no additional strength from the carbon - its mostly from the large amount of resin they contain.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
well i have left my spats with him, he has said he is happy to make a mould for a limited run - anything above a certain (fairly reasonable) number would make it worth his while ;)

i have spoken to him yesterday and he is going to register and drop you a pm i think mate :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I know your quite egar for them Marcus for your show ;)

Dean - I've just replied to his PM. Were your spats OE ones?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
I know your quite egar for them Marcus for your show ;)

Dean - I've just replied to his PM. Were your spats OE ones?
yes mate they were ;)

we spoke more about it when he dropped of my kit (which is far, far better than any replica stuff i've had in the past)....
my spats had the metal brackets unerneath which just required using a self tapping screw to secure to the bumper. the inner arch lip of the rear bumper never had any bracket or anything, to secure this edge i used an m6 capscrew, with a large stainless washer and locking nut on the back, the washer fit behind the edge of the original bumper and when tightened it secured the spat to the bumper and looked like oe fitment - as i say the only issue i ever had was with the padded tape that holds it on. if i did it again i'd use sikaflex as there really is no need to ever remove spats once they're fitted unless you need the bumper repainting :)

Reaction score
Country
Hello, have spoken to craig and he sayes its okay if i take the spats over, im just finishing the mould tomorrow so i will have a first set available tuesday/wed for shipping and will post some pics as soon as i have the first set, the spats are a two piece mould and ive split it at the small end so the metal bracket is moulded in with the spat as one, The trimming will need to be perfect as craig sayes and they will be exact to oem,

the top edge i always ever fit spats with bonding and use a very very thick bead about 1/2 inch down on the back of the spat itself not the top edge so no bonding is visable when done

Price will be £135 per pair and the finish of the spats will be flawless as i used genuine spats for the moulds.

postage would be £7.50 UK and around £20 for most places overseas, but pm me for exact price.

Also to save any chance of any probs with fit or whatever i will offer these on a complete return policy if anyone is not totally happy with them, just return them for a refund no quibbles :)

Big thanks to craig for letting me take this over (hope this posts okay craig) and to dean for lending them to me and letting me test fit them next tuesday ;>)

im based in kent for any cash collections/trial fit etc more than welcome

cheers martin

Reaction score
Country
Theres nothing I want more atm than these however my money for this month has already gone on bits for undersealing!

Next month i need to get stuff powder coated, plated and buy some new brake lines!

Not sure yet if I can come up with £135..

How long will you be making these for? And how much trouble would it be to make them to demand at a later date?

:)

Reaction score
Website
www.dnsf.org
Country
I'll take a set asap ;) just sended you PM.

Still like to thank Craig for putting this spat-thing together :) But also carbonkit and Dean for finishing this!! Hope they will be perfect ;)

D

dil

Theres nothing I want more atm than these however my money for this month has already gone on bits for undersealing!

Next month i need to get stuff powder coated, plated and buy some new brake lines!

How long will you be making these for? And how much trouble would it be to make them to demand at a later date?

x2 I am very interested in buying a set but funds are low at the mo, wasn't expecting them to be complete so quick!!

Will there be extra sets made for a later purchase?

Reaction score
Country
just send us a pm when your ready, cheers

Reaction score
Country
pm's replied to and thanks to all especially dean and craig yeah, once ive got a few sold ill donate something to the club for sure.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Still like to thank Craig for putting this spat-thing together :) But also carbonkit and Dean for finishing this!! Hope they will be perfect ;)
It's not a problem Marcus, I'm happy to help, just a shame I couldnt come up with the goods at a reasonable price this time :)

pm's replied to and thanks to all especially dean and craig yeah, once ive got a few sold ill donate something to the club for sure.
Again, no problem. I'm happy they are being made, especially at such a good price. For the amount of work making the moulds v the demand, these are certainly very good value guys ;)

I look forward to seeing the pics and test fits too.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
watching with interest.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i spoke to martin yesterday - the mould is completely finished ready to go but he has been extremely busy making a kit to a deadline for a time attack team so bear with him - he said he's been meaning to put the pics up but very, very busy ;)