What's new

On\Off switch for ABS

Reaction score
Country
Im thinking about putting the abs fuse in the footwell of my s15 on a switch so that i can turn it off and on as required. Has anyone ever heard of any damage occuring to any part of the car (the abs module for example) by removing the fuse?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Never got round to it Allan... there's more than one ABS fuse so wasn't sure which one to turn into switch and I wasn't prepared to try wire in all of them as switches lol :wack:

My mate James just removes the three plug harness clips on the ABS unit which seems to do the trick - probs safer than trying to turn it into a switch etc...

Reaction score
Country
Hmm thanks guys! Looks like ill be breaking new ground with this switch lol. I haven't tried any of the other fuses in the engine bay but Ive noted that pulling the fuse in the footwell seems to do the exact same thing as disconnecting the ABS sensor in the diff (ie no speedo, abs warning light on dash). I would be interested to hear if anyone's ever had any trouble after they have unplugged the ABS diff sensor??

GTuned

Reaction score
Country
Perhaps a silly question, but why would you want to do this?

If you can threshold brake, the ABS would never/very rarely kick in anyway, and in mad emergency braking situations, it’s still there… Is it for drifting or circuit use that you don’t want ABS?

When I went to a driving school a while ago, they had a car setup with a homemade switch to turn ABS on and off in order to teach us how to threshold brake. All I remember was that the car had to be turned off then have the switch flipped (either enabling or disabling the ABS) and then the car was turned on again. I’m sure the car had a different speedo/sensor setup compared to Silvias, as it was a Dodge, but I do remember the speedometer working fine.

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Removing ABS is definitely good for drifting (IMO) because when you spin out and start going backwards the ABS gets confused and goes crazy... and there have been moments when I've been heading towards concrete barrier going backwards thinking FFS will the ABS just f*ck off!!!! :D

Reaction score
Yep as James said, the ABS is super annoying and a complete fail if you plan to drift the car. If you are going any direction but forward and try to brake hard, it has a mind of its own and doesn't let you brake!

I've had ABS out of my car for a while now and for daily driving I haven't had a single problem.

Reaction score
Country
Gtuned - Yeah partly for track use and also because i absolutly hate any part of a car that thinks it knows better than me =). Traction Control for example, If i bury my foot into the accelerator i like knowing that im gona get full acceleration and not some traction control bs telling me ive accelerated too much and cutting all of my power. Luckily s15s dont have traction control but you get my point.

Andeep - How did you disable ABS? Did you completely remove the whole system or just pull a plug somewhere?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I've already posted how to disable ABS above!

My mate James just removes the three plug harness clips on the ABS unit which seems to do the trick - probs safer than trying to turn it into a switch etc...

Reaction score
Country
Yeah id read that. But since andeep said he had done it and had no problems, i wanted to make sure i do it the same way =)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Andeep removed the whole ABS unit and fitted piping direct from master cylinder to brake caliper - if you search then you'll find his write up thread about how he did it...

But as said if you remove all three harness clips ABS is disabled - how it feels I'm not sure but worth a go and see if you're happy with this first before removing the whole unit which takes some work.

Reaction score
Country
Oh okay. Yeah that does sound like a whole heap more work than just pulling a few plugs lol.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
Thank f*ck i turned the abs off! spun out on a corner today was heading backwards towards a bank and only just managed to stop in time. Im certain the outcome would have been worse had the abs still been enabled.

Reaction score
Country
Yeah as James said i have just unplugged the 3 ABS plugs from the sender. The brakes work far far better with normal everyday driving and obviously drifting which was the main reason i disconnected it! Ill get around to removing the whole sender unit and sorting out the brake lines soon... when it warms up! :D