What's new

electronic boost control opinions

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Country
Really? This has nothing to do with the strong yen RIGHT? (among other factors)...

Anyways, I had a Blitz SBC ID III spec R in my last car, and I plan to run the same in my next one! It was rather easy to setup, and I never really had to fuss with it after entering my settings. Also a few of the local tuners swear by them (And HKS EVC's).
Yes, japanese parts are insanely overpriced. Look at anything from Tomei, jap wheels, stroker kits, anything from Blitz, etc.

P

prolex-uk

HKS/Blitz et al have always been expensive. Down to the consumer to decide if he/she is willing to pay a premium for a name brand

P

prolex-uk

A lot of the premium Japanese stuff is actually manufactured in China (like ipods etc) so yes R&D will be expensive not quite so much the making of said items.

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Country
I get you. The quality of those parts will be just as good if not better than there Japanese counter parts but just without the silly price tag.
Exactly. I'm not trying to argue that one is better than the other just that the Japanese prices are much much higher than anyone else's for the same thing. Alot of those intercoolers come from the same factory in China.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I look at it this way. The Jap firms do the R&D which cost money. They have to make their money back and do so by trying to sell their items at a price. Now to try to make more money from each part, they are getting things made in China (as everyone is). The Chinese manufacturers then sell any extra items they make as copies while still making the original part for the original Jap firm. So really, the parts are getting made in the same factory without the original Jap company stamp / sticker. The Chinese factories then sell the item at a cheap price compared to the Jap company because they didn't do all the development work and they are making money from the production of the item anyway.

It is really up to the person purchasing an item whether they pay the money. If the Jap company folds, there may be less R&D, but I believe that performance items will get designed and made. Companies may have to be a little smarter how they do business, but this is how the world is. If you really want to see how it works, look at the music industry.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
lol this JDM or not JDM debate has been raging on for a while now... I'm staying well out of it.

So as regards to this thread I'll speak as I find - the Gizzmo MS-IBS is a brilliant bit of kit. Had it fitted on my former S15 for more than a year and it did track, drift and Nurburging (which happened to be well over 26 deg celcius that weekend - very hot engine bay!!). Never let me down. So simple to install... the MS means Multi-Scramble a feature I never bothered with cos it tends to destroy engines lol or at least tries to!!

You get 6 different boost settings that you can programme which is plenty enough. The installation I've posted pics and diagrams on a previous thread - dead easy to do it yourself. Now looking for one to fit my Stagea.

The question really for me was what did GReddy Profec-B or HKS EVC offer me that warranted the extra dosh? Couldn't think of any apart from more diagnostic and flashy bling bling screen etc. The Gizzmo never spiked and I was boosting to 1.2 max after Steve did the remap - just can't see why I would have paid more for something that's simple, effective and proven product that the Driftwork drift cars also use and endorse?? :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Cheers bud that what I have been thinking is it really worth spending 400 quid on hks when I can get a gizzmo for 170-200 and it will do all I need it to do,I don't see that I need a boost controLler to Do anything other than control the boost lol