What's new

Clutch choice S15

Reaction score
Country
well im after a decent clutch for my S15 silvia to handle around 350bhp and was just wondering whats the most used clutch on here?

Also whats the crack with the fitment on the 6 speed? do I keep the flywheel, can I use S14 clutches? if i keep the standard fly do I need an unsprung friction plate?? theres allot of confusion here :confused: lol

Ive got a few clutches in mind, these are:

Exedy organic ( but ive seen some bad feedback on these slipping and not lasting at around 300bhp :eek:

ACT heavy duty organic

Any others that you would recommend?

I dont want to go for an expensive top of the range clutch, just one thats going to do the job but also last.

Cheers Nick ;)

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I went for the exedy organic clutch and I'm running 360bhp, which is probably right on the limit but If you dont abuse it, I've been told It should last. All though I did want the ACT heavy duty but it was either £240 for the exedy or 400 plus for the ACT..

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I have the S14 ACT organic with the standard fly wheel and it's ample at 320

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Exedy Twin Plate which is more to withstand drifting abuse - absolute PITA when it comes to daily driving but when you're out on track/drift circuit it kicks ass lol :D

K

Keisu

S14 and S15 clutches are interchangeable. I just ordered an ACT 6 puck heavy duty clutch, waiting to see how that works :D

Reaction score
Country
Nice! thats gunna be fun in traffic :p what about the friction disc tho? dont I need an unsprung friction disc when keeping the stock dual mass flywheel?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
No, a sprung friction plate is fine with dual mass fly :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
No. The stock S15 friction plate is unsprung as the dual mass fly takes up the shock loads. The S14 has a sprung friction plate as the fly is solid. This is factual information, seen first hand.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
I've tried a number of clutches (in this one car) and have settled on full carbon clutches (not carbon/kevlar/etc mixes) - they are by far the best of the best, very drivable and is rated to hold more power than the rest, plus because of the weight of all the parts (it's the lightest I could find) the car revs freely and the shifts are ultra fast without wearing out the syncros. I love it so much that I've got 2 carbon clutches... one's a spare from when I did an RB25 gearbox conversion that didn't work out, sold the rb25 gearbox and the rest but kept the clutch lol

S

stevek

ive an exedy type s 3 puck clutch in mine... very heavyily sprung and its either on or off... i love it :D

MWTech

Trader
Reaction score
exedy clutches are available.

what kind of use does your s15 get? unless your a hardcore heavy drift and track user and dont mind having a bit of a fight with the car at every junction and hill start then a twin plate might be over kill. that said though, they are built to take more than twice the amount of abuse and heavy shifts any normal clutch would. they are also geared at cars with much more horsepower too. have had a twin plate in the rx7 for 4 years now, not a single issue, and not any signs of weakness or lack of feel. often mistaken for a hooligan at lights and tesco car parks though :D

a single plate might be the one for you?? best of both worlds really, can take circuit use but not so arsey on the road, and will confidently handle your power range

lightweight racing flywheels included in the kits too :)

Reaction score
Country
Yeah tbh im probly going to go with a single plate kit with the included lightweight fly's, something like the Exedy hyper single or the ORC 409 are the clutches ive been looking at :)

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Country
I have the ACT Extreme with a sprung 6 puck disk. It's a little stiff at first but with a KTS slave cylinder and a little break-in(or maybe calf exercises...) you get used to it. In hindsight the heavy duty would probly have been enough but I didn't want to take any chances. I'm at approx 400whp but I want more boost. :)

Very good clutch though, ACT is made by Exedy FYI.