What's new

Hks gt-ss

Reaction score
Country
Im thinking of upgrading to a HKS GT-SS turbo on my S15 as I want to keep it low lag and responsive, but was just wondering whats the difference in performance between this turbo and the standard S15 BB turbo?

I dont want to spend around 900 quid on a turbo thats going to be exactly the same as a standard S15 BB turbo :nod:

If anyone on here is running one, if you could give me a list of mods boost level etc and a power figure that would be a great help :D

Cheers, Nick :wave:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
AFAIK, the HKS GT-SS is basically a Garrett GT28RS turbo. I've never driven one but I imagine it would have roughly the same characteristics as the standard turbo as it is not too different to the standard turbo.

Personally, I would spend less money on a Garrett GT2871R (HKS GT-RS) which would be good for a lot more power but still very useable ;)

sx-si

Reaction score
hks ss is very simerler to the gt2860r

hks rs is a much much better turbo than the gt2871r, its on full boost before the 71r and has about the same power of 380 maxed
or hks 2860r which is on full boost by 4k and can develope 480 :D

Reaction score
Country
Ive got the usual:

3" turbo back exhaust
FMIC
Apexi intake
Tubular manifold
Blitz DSBC

getting 555 injectors and Z32MAF soon

havent seen that turbo before whats it rated to? is it as responsive as the standard BB turbo?

Reaction score
hks ss is very simerler to the gt2860r

hks rs is a much much better turbo than the gt2871r, its on full boost before the 71r and has about the same power of 380 maxed
or hks 2860r which is on full boost by 4k and can develope 480 :D
Garrett supply HKS, so you're actually buying a Garrett turbo to start with.

Garrett give far more trim options than HKS. With turbo's like the GT2871R there's probably 12 different types, as you've got different trim wheels and different a/r's on the housings. If HKS are quoting certain figures for their turbo's I bet Garrett have an equivelant version. If you go on www.turbobygarrett.com you'll get alot of variations for GT28 turbo's, although they've cut down on the GT30's.

Reaction score
Trust/GReddy use journal bearing turbo's. I hardly ever see them because they're a Japan based supplier.

Anything from Trust is going to be a journal turbo, i've never seen or headr of a rollerbearing turbo they've produced. Mitsubishi actually produce their turbo's and GReddy simply re-badge them like HKS do with Garrett. Trust do use high flow wheels though, which are better, but aren't as responsive as the rollerbearing turbo's because of the friction built up in the core. The main advantage over Trust turbo's is they're rebuildable, unlike the rollerbearing series turbo's.

Reaction score
Country
Ive got the usual:

3" turbo back exhaust
FMIC
Apexi intake
Tubular manifold
Blitz DSBC

getting 555 injectors and Z32MAF soon

havent seen that turbo before whats it rated to? is it as responsive as the standard BB turbo?
Sorry I meant the Trust T517Z (smaller version then the one I had mentioned). Anyhoo the T517Z Turbo will support about 380HP.

http://www.dragsport.com/issue/2006/0506_tech.shtml

What type of HP numbers are you looking for?

Turbo's is next on my research list and I've been really digging in. So far the top three are the GT RS, T518Z and the new ARMS M7960 from Tomei (Still waiting to hear more reviews on this one). The popular choice is the RS spec turbo.

Reaction score
Country
well Im after a low lag setup with around 320bhp dont want to go any higher as im running the stock six speed and dont really want to break it :) so I was going to go with the HKS GT-SS and a set of HKS step 1 256 camshafts then mapped by Horsham with Nistune, should be a nice responsive setup.

sx-si

Reaction score
yes garett do supply hks but hks use there own trim and housing sizes which change the way the turbo boosts and makes power

like saying a t25 and 28 are the same turbo because there from garett ;)

also ive run alot of the 300-450 garett and hks turbos oin the same sr20det
and only speak from experiance

Reaction score
Country
yes garett do supply hks but hks use there own trim and housing sizes which change the way the turbo boosts and makes power

like saying a t25 and 28 are the same turbo because there from garett ;)

also ive run alot of the 300-450 garett and hks turbos oin the same sr20det
and only speak from experiance
Oh I'm not disagreeing with you. You've got to pay to play and to me, it makes enough of a difference to buy the HKS version.

well Im after a low lag setup with around 320bhp dont want to go any higher as im running the stock six speed and dont really want to break it :) so I was going to go with the HKS GT-SS and a set of HKS step 1 256 camshafts then mapped by Horsham with Nistune, should be a nice responsive setup.
Yeah with the SS turbo, the boost should come early and hit hard!