Gauging interest - Exhaust manifold/ABS unit heat shields

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'm in the process of getting these made but would like to gauge interest before I order the materials.

S15OC Exhaust manifold/ABS unit heat shields

Purpose

The purpose of this product is to significantly reduce the amount of heat transferred to the ABS unit, brake lines and consequently the brake fluid, from the exhaust manifold and turbocharger. These are especially useful when you are using an aftermarket tubular exhaust manifold or a top mount turbo setup.

There are clear asthetical advantages to these too. They will hide the unsightly ABS unit from direct sight and add appeal to your engine bay.

Construction

Construction will be mainly of carbon fibre and aluminium. The resin used to bond the layers together will be a Class 1 Fire Retardant resin. This is probably overkill but I have been told it is the most heat resistant resin you can get, so we are using it.

There will be a 1.0mm thick laser cut aluminium heat reflector facing the exhaust manifold which is designed to reflect the majority of the intense heat emitted by the exhaust manifold.

Every aspect of this product will be made in the UK. Quality is guaranteed to be consistently exceptional and fitment will be perfect. A comprehensive fitting kit will be included in the kit.

Competition

Topstage are the only other company I know of who make items like this. In fact, I have had one of these fitted to my car for the last 2 years. Considering I only drive about 3000 miles per year, it has not lasted well at all. There are areas of burned carbon due to the heat reflector being inadequately sized and positioned (0.5mm aluminium cut with tin snips!!). Overall quality is poor with distorted surfaces and a poor surface finish. I do not consider this to be in the same category for performance and quality to ours.

Price

Early indications show the price to be around £129 each, plus delivery. The cost is higher than I would like mainly because the high quality materials and workmanship. There has been a lot of time and money spent on manufacturing of the all-new design and shape too. We may be able to offer a discount for contributing S15OC members and traders, but this is yet TBC. These will all be make in the UK, by hand.

They are not intended to be profit making but any profit will be donated to the S15OC for events and running costs.

Production timescale

They will be available for sale once testing has been completed. Estimated dates for this is Feb 2011.

List

Well, I'll certainly be the first to get my name down!

1. Craig8585
2. adz87kc
3. Sniffy
4. koullis
5. S15AK
6. AllanOrr
7. Ichigo-300
8. Wayne S15R
9. TomK
10. Suspect
11. nutsnbolts
12. armouredsnake
13. Aikens15
14. eiden88
15. djmasterg
16. Topper

:)

Pictures

Here are a few pictures of the prototype (not fitted) ond my topstage one (fitted).

The prototype one pictured below is made from normal resin and just used for fitment testing. The Fire retardant versions I will sell will look the same but will have a alloy plate too. The alloy plate is optional but MUST be used if you have an aftermarket manifold of have removed your heat shield.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Feel free to add comments and suggestions too :)

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Look smart mate :thumbs:

I would put my name down but I already have something similar.

Well worth putting in if you have a tubular mani :nod:

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
If you think it will fit around my top mount then I'll have one please pal :)

1. Craig8585
2. adz87kc
3. Sniffy
4. koullis
5. S15AK

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Have you got a pic of your setup? My manifold is the Japspeed one and is massive compared to most others. I think you should be ok with it but if it doesn't fit you could always send it back :)

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
I am really intrested Craig though not to sure how it will fit next to the Turbo on my HKS top mount but al put my name down :)

1. Craig8585
2. adz87kc
3. Sniffy
4. koullis
5. S15AK
6. AllanOrr

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It should be ok with the top mount turbos. If you look at the 3rd photo, you can see how tight it sits against the ABS unit. My exhaust manifold is huge compared to the standard item or a Tomei/H-Dev one for example.

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
It should be ok with the top mount turbos. If you look at the 3rd photo, you can see how tight it sits against the ABS unit. My exhaust manifold is huge compared to the standard item or a Tomei/H-Dev one for example.
Might be tight with a GT30 Turbo though lol :wack: cant whack a bit of carbon anyway dude :D

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It's an interest thread so I can gauge how much materials we will need. If you think you'll buy one then pop your name down but there's obviously no commitment.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
another quality Craig product :)

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Have you got a pic of your setup? My manifold is the Japspeed one and is massive compared to most others. I think you should be ok with it but if it doesn't fit you could always send it back :)
Mine is the topmount Japspeed manifold. I haven't got the car at the mo, so when I get it back I will take a pic of the manifold area, but like you say I'm sure it will be fine.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Interested. How does it attach to the abs unit?
There will be 3x aluminium strips that bolt onto both ends. It will be different to what's in the photo (stronger and neater) but same idea. :)

Mine is the topmount Japspeed manifold. I haven't got the car at the mo, so when I get it back I will take a pic of the manifold area, but like you say I'm sure it will be fine.
Ok mate, nice one :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
1. Craig8585
2. adz87kc
3. Sniffy
4. koullis
5. S15AK
6. AllanOrr
7. Ichigo-300
8. Wayne S15R

Keep the names coming! We'll need more than this to break even.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.