What's new

Underbody Cooling Panel

G

gunner93

We know how top cooling panel such as Garage Defends are suppose to work.

Equally, the underbody area between the bumper bottom and the radiator is an uncovered space about 2.5 ft x 1 ft. Measurement varies from car to car due to different bumper kits.

Will it improve cooling if this area is covered?

Anyone have done it? Effects?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
That's be dead easy to make if you wanted to. Could add more louvers also to suck more air out.

Gunner - I'm fairly sure that they did originally have a plastic undertray between the bumper and rad but most people remove them when fitting a FMIC. I'm sure mines still there but haven't got the car here to check.

Reaction score

Jay

Reaction score
all too often efficiency is sacrificed for looks, there is a lot of info in there that i had never even considered before!

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
ano you would be supprised what a angle grinder could do though dude, am sure a couple of the boys have RX7 rear defusers on their s15's :)

Reaction score
Country
Mines still got the factory undertray. It comes right up and attaches to the front bumper, but I cant remember how far back it goes.

edit: Just had a quick look (in the dark + snow), and the centre section goes back past the sump to where the lower arms fix to, and the sides come back to the arch liners. I'll get a better look at the weekend when it's light to check :)

Last edited:
G

gunner93

I'm about to put one of these on for cooling and performance. I'll let you know the results once its fitted

Very neat. You can see the angle bars at the end of the tray to induce lower pressure behind the tray.

Tomk - thanks for the links to Autospeed. They are classic as far as pictorials guides are concern. Very informative.

I'm motivated to do one now!

T

tinto

There are some good threads on nissanroadracing.com and timeattackforums.com on undertrays, splitters and the best materials to DIY with.
Alumalite seems a popular choice.

Reaction score
That undertray just looks like a metal version of the standard underside. I've still got all the original arch lining and full undertray under my car, I've removed it a few times to do jobs. It covers that huge void between the rad and block, then fixes to the engine mount cross member that sits inline with the wishbones. There's louvre's punched into it too, to allow air from the engine pass under the car presumably.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I still have mine but had to remove the front portion to accomodate the FMIC so now there is a gap under the IC which I want to close off

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I fitted mine the other day. I must say I am a little dissapointed at the way it is fitted at the back. It doesn't really look like the pic posted in the thread either. You still have to keep the plastic arch liners. I will have to modify mine as I have now fitted my FMIC. I will post pics when I get the chance.