What's new

Head light bulbs recommendation?

E

Endless

Hi, my stock headlight bulbs (night time one) just burn out and am looking for replacement now, just 2 quick questions

1) what is the size of the S15 headlight bulb (night time driving one)

2) I'm looking for aftermarket bulbs with white looks (don't need to be too bright, and want one to last longer), which brand and models do you recommend? I have look into HID before, but it was too expensive, so I have decided to change the bulbs only for now.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Low beams are H1s, high beams are HB3 9005s.

Staying with 55/60W bulbs, Philips Vision Plus are about the best you'll get, with about 50% more light on the road. If you want more of a HID look, Philips Blue Vision are probably better. They also put about 30% more light on the road.

Vision Plus aren't available in HB3 bulbs.

S

S15R

im using PIAA H1 ones

its pretty good :D nice and bright

bought it for HKD$500

E

Endless

Thanks for the replies, I end up getting the Phillips Blue Vision which looks decent (not too bright) and suit my needs ;)

J

Jap Heaven

I'm looking for replacement bulbs for mine, they are PIAA H1's Spark Blue. I'm assuming they are standard bulbs for the 99 Spec R so was wondering is there anywhere I can buy online?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I simply won't have anything other than HIDs in mine. Saw the appalling lighting given by Topper's standard bulbs at the weekend :eek: The difference is unbelievable. Just ask Topper - he went out in mine.

Reaction score
Country
What bulb size do S15's use ? I brought a set of HID's of a ebay seller that fitted fine without any problems for my FTO (just need 2 small areas to mount the ballasts). You can get bulbs to fit all sizes. They come with the ballasts (which are waterproof) and are just as good...if not better that Mitsubishis OEM HID's. Cost about ?90 delivered. Ill take some pics if you are interested ?

*edit - just seen the bulbs sizes in above post, ill try and have a hunt on the web ofr HID kits that fit. Failing that ill speak to some of the guys on the FTOOC who supply HID kits to see if they can supply S15 sizes.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You need a H1 kit. The Vision Bulbs kit is ?100 delivered and comes with an uprated harness (recommended if you don't want to fry your electrics). All of these kits will cause the HIDs to ignite if you 'flash' your lights. You would need an additional relay kit to stop this happening. This would just flash the high beams and also ensure the HIDs stay ignited when flicking between high and low beams. A guy on SXOC used to make these kits, but has lost interest. I have a basic circuit diagram if anyone wants to make their own.

Flashing HIDs will cause your bulb life to shorten.

Reaction score
Country
If you are just replacing the dipped beam bulbs with aftermarket HIDs then surely it doesn matter ? Arent the dipped and high beam seperate bulbs on seperate switches ?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The dipped stay on when main beams are engaged. However, past experience has shown that there can be a momentary blip in power when flicking between the two circuits. On halogens, this makes no odds. With HIDs, it can cause the HIDs to go off and take a second to re-ignite. This is is particularly true on the cheaper kits without a relayed uprated loom.

If you 'flash' the lights (during the day for example), it will light dipped and high beam, not just high beam. The result is that , when fitted, the HIDs will ignite. The relay kit I mentioned will separate the dipped beams from the main beam circuit by ensuring they have a live feed only when the sidelights are active (this doesn't mean they come on with the sidelights).