What's new

Private Plate Transfer - HELP!!

Reaction score
My g/f crashed my '99 s15 6 months ago and it had my plate on it. The insurance company eventually wrote it off and paid me out and i bought the car back. Now i have an '01 and today tried to swap my plate from the crashed car to the new one but the VRO in cardiff have told me that my old car needs a VIC (vehicle identity check) before i can get the plate off it. This means you have to repair the old car and have it inspected but obviously i don't want this. Anyone got any ideas as to how i can get round this??? PS Saying you are going to scrap the car but want to keep the plate doesn't work - they take the plate back with the car:annoyed:
ANY IDEAS WELCOME!!

Jay

Reaction score
can you not get the vic without repairing the car? only other way around it that i can see is to let them take the plate back then buy it off them again. there must be a way around it. i would suggest contacting the dvla directly and asking advice....

Reaction score
The car has been stripped so has no engine, gearbox etc etc - its says on the VOSA website the car has to be roadworthy to have a VIC test done even though it is just an identification test!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
All they do is make sure you haven't welded the chassis number from a crashed vehicle onto another one (usually stolen). I'm guessing it was Cat C then?

Reaction score
No need for any more ideas - went to VRO again today and spoke to someone else and apparently its no problem to transfer it now :annoyed: What a bunch of w***ers they are. Still all good at least i get my plate back!!!