What's new

race rad

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Hi guys,
I need a new rad so was looking into getting a 55mm race rad from apex when they are back in stock,just been searching about and a few people have said the bigger race rads don't work that well under normal everyday use and are only really any good for use on track??!! Is there any truth in this as I will only be using the car for fast road use really,doubt I will ever get around to tracking her.
Just wanted to know your opinions on this as I am sure there are quite a few people on here with larger rads, any input will be much appreciated cheers guys!

Reaction score
Rubbish, the bigger race rads work perfectly under normal conditions. People may be thinking that since the bigger rads are very efficient at cooling, it will run the engine at a lower temperature, but this is not true as the thermostat controls when to open/close the flow of coolant to the rad when it gets too hot/cold.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Keep an eye out for the groupbuys thugh as they are loads cheaper.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah I got the Japspeed 50mm rad - works brilliantly and seems well engineering so I'm happy!!

Running temps aren't that much lower cos as andeep says the stock thermostat will control this - I can tell because my water temp sensor adaptor sits in the middle of the top rad hose so it reads around 30 - 40 deg for a few minutes then suddenly the thermostat opens and it shoots up to around 70 - 80 deg and stays around this point. On fast road it'll never creep above 90 on a spirited run.

You have to be going all out like I was on the Nurburgring (13 miles per lap!!) on a very hot summer's day as well for the water temp to hit above 115!! :wack:

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Cheers guys ,just seen a few people saying they didn't work so thought I would ask on here as I know quite a few of you were running bigger rads.
That's the answer I wanted to hear anyway! Supposed to be another group buy beginning of next month ,happy days!

Reaction score
Website
powizzle.tumblr.com
So does this mean running a aftermarket thermostat, such as nismo with a bigger radiator would be bad for daily driving since it won't allow the car to reach it's optimum operating temperature?

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
it depends on the temperature range of the thermostat. Remember the thermostat regulates the temperature of the water not the radiator.

If your radiator can't cool the water enough the temperature of your water will rise. The cooling system of a car is designed around a standard engine. As soon as you start modifying the engine (more boost etc) this will cause the cooling system to work harder, if it can't keep up then you will see higher temperatures regardless of the thermostat.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
The way my twin fans have been wired in (by Craig - thanks buddy) means it still uses the stock harness and thermostat although we believe with Apexi PFC it kicks in 5 deg higher/lower than normal @ 90 deg :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The nismo thermostat opens at 62C IIRC, which is a bit low for day to day driving. The standard ECU kicks the electric fan in a 95C and off at 90C. The Power FC kicks in at 90C and off at 85C :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Hmmm mine never seems to get hotter than 75-76 deg even driving her hard,why would that be? Think the highest I have ever seen on a very hot day was 78.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Hmm, strange. Where do you get your temp reading from? Do you have a sensor in the top rad hose?

The figures I'm going by are from Datascan/PFC hand controller. If you run 75 deg then this is too cool for the standard thermostat but too warm for the nismo thermostat - unless your figures are slighty out which would depend on the location of your sensor.

If you have the standard visous fan you shoudn't reach the kick in point for the eleccy fan because it works well in conjunction with the standard shroud, but the fact it's viscous and running all the time regardless of engine temp makes it inefficient.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I will have to check where the sensor is located,I have a techtom cmx100 which has a water temp display on it maybe its just inaccurate.cheers for the info mate