What's new

Help with Fitting a new clutch

Havoc

Reaction score
Country
Unfortunatly my clutch went so i had to order a new one.

I ordered an exeedy organic but apon ordering it i was informed that if i dont get a new flywheel i will have to get the old one shimmed befor fitting it or it will just kill of my new one?

Is this correct or can anyone shed any light on this? :annoyed:

Cheers!

Reaction score
You must get the flywheel skimmed/machined so that the contact surface is completely flat to mate with the new clutch. Don't bother fitting a new clutch if you don't get the flywheel skimmed.

Are you using the stock dual-mass flywheel? You might have trouble finding a shop that will machine them.

T

Toby

Shimmed, or Skimmed?

You don't always have to skim flywheels - it can be inspected on the car, and if its okay you can leave it on, you need to ensure the flywheel is perfectly flat and smooth, or yes you will wreck the clutch.

The requirements of the flywheel are in the workshop manual :)

Havoc

Reaction score
Country
I Belive the 15 still has the standard flywheel so is that a duel-mass? not sure what the condition of it is, so saying i do need it skimmed where would i look at getting that done?

T

Toby

I'd ask a local garage where they get there's done.

Point out it is dual mass, shouldnlt cause to much of a probolem as most new cars have them now days.

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
Granted most new cars have them dude but I work with VW & Toyota both use dual mass flywheels and we never get these skimmed you will be cheaper and safer to swap to a single plate flywheel for the s14a and use the same bolts as the dual mass ones are longer
Spec R's do have dual mass flywheels at stock :)

Reaction score
You definately don't NEED to get a flywheel skimmed. It depends on the condition of the flywheel.

Havoc

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for feedback guys, think ill just rip it out and get my magnifying glass all over it haha..

Hopefully there is no marks or scratches on it.!

Reaction score
You should also check the free play between the 2 flywheels when you take the dual mass off. If it is excessive you should replace it with a single mass for an S15. A single mass S14a flywheel wont fit on an S15. I put an Exedy lightened flywheel and clutch on my S15 and it feels as good as, even better than stock. Drive train noise is minimal.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I fitted a new clutch kit (friction and pressure plates) last year as a precautionary measure before my remap. I didn't skim my flywheel as it didn't need it. Only do it if you need to mate - you wouldn't fit new brake disks everytime you change the pads ;)

Havoc

Reaction score
Country
Well I fitted it Monday and the flywheel was perfectly soundo so I didn't bother getting a new one or getting it skimmed!

Well car certainly feels slot better now anyway! Haha not sure it's even the same car....