What's new

ADM JDM Differences

Reaction score
Hi :wave:

I was reading in another thread recently that the ADM S15 actually only ran 200bhp rather than the 250bhp on the JDM model.

Is anyone able to tell me all the mechanical differences between the two models?

Does the ADM s15 have the same sr20det that was in teh s14 or is it exactly the same as the JDM with the boost turned down and a conservative ECU map?

Thanks for all your help guys.

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
If its anything like the uk versions s14's its due to stricter emissions hence more cats and different mapping and also ****ter fuel. As uk market would be mapped for 95 ron fuel where JDM market would be mapped for (correct me if im wrong) 102 ron octane fuel.

Not sure on the quallity of fuel in aus...... or the emission regulations.

Also the japs are renowned for there own market cars to be faster than the exported models. Bar the supra......... the uk spec is 320bhp when the jdm spec is only 280... odd but the japanese gentelmens agreement may be the cause there.

Reaction score
i'm not sure if there is much of a difference in the emissions between the adm and jdm...... i've been lead to believe they run a much better ecu though

Reaction score
Our emission laws are over the top in general and the ADM model has a more restrictive cat. convertor, we also have the bush bearing turbo where the JDM has the ball bearing turbo. I'm pretty sure the ADM is de-tuned over the J on boost etc overall. The powers that run this conservative **** hole wouldn't allow are 4 banging rice burner out power there titanic taxis, that would be un-australian.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
they are detuned as we could only get 95RON at the time. Obviously Nissan Aus didn't want people destroying engines with the lower octane fuel. I think the boost setting was lower as well for the same reason. I am not sure the emissions played a big part, it was just down to the fuel we had here.

Not all JDM's had the BB turbo. I think there was a date range for them and then after that they were bushed as well.

The S14 and S15 motors are pretty much the same. A few parts were upgraded. ie. the injectors were bigger on the manual. etc.

Reaction score
Country
Australian vs JDM models

Australia and New Zealand were the only countries to officially get the S15. While in Japan the S15 was known as the Silvia, in both New Zealand and Australia it was known as the 200sx. New Zealand got what was essentially the Japanese domestic version of the car with the following main differences:
External electric antenna rather than the back windscreen style JDM one. Probably because the JDM antenna performance was not high enough for NZ
Different bonnet and boot badging with 200sx instead of Silvia
Different floor mats with 200sx on them
NZ did not get all the grade options. There were only two versions sold in NZ. The Spec R with the option of auto or manual transmission and later the Spec R II with 17" ROH mags and a new Pioneer stereo. This model was essentailly a standard JDM Spec R
The Australian model was more substantially different. Perhaps the biggest difference was the power difference. While the JDM and NZ models got the full power 182kW engines Australia got a de-tuned engine which only produced 147kW. This was supposedly because of Australian conditions which meant engine damage could have been more likely if the JDM tune engine was used. The key difference between the NZ and Australian versions were:

Different ECU which reduces power to 147kW
No rear wiper
No pillar mount boost gauge
No climate air conditioning
Slightly different exhaust - 1" shorter than JDM
No passenger vanity mirror in sun visor
Electric folding side mirrors
Two models offered, Spec S and Spec R although unlike the JDM version the Australian Spec S is turbo!
Spec S is the base model and Spec R adds sunroof, side skirts (Aero) and rear spoiler
Also available for both models is the "GT" spec car. This has JDM rear spolier, leather trimmed seats and steering wheel, standard wheels in crome trim, drilled alloy pedals, crome trim for door handles and gear lever surround, GT badging from R34 skyline
260km/h speedo and no 180km/h speed cut

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys.

I'll have to go and check my model number later.

I'm fairly certain my car was australian but some things don't add up, as i have the pillar mount boost gauge, i have climate control and i have a passenger side vanity mirror.

Will have to buy an EBC and chuck it on a roller road and get steve to remap it to 98RON at some point when im a bit more flush.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Thanks for your help guys.

I'll have to go and check my model number later.

I'm fairly certain my car was australian but some things don't add up, as i have the pillar mount boost gauge, i have climate control and i have a passenger side vanity mirror.

Will have to buy an EBC and chuck it on a roller road and get steve to remap it to 98RON at some point when im a bit more flush.
The give away is the climate control as all the other things can easily be added. As far as I know only a couple of people have converted the analogue air con controls to the digital controls. So I would say you car is a JDM

PS. I think the Aus versions came with the passenger vanity mirror. I can't check cause I am not at home.

Reaction score
Ok cool thanks. Im sure someone told me it was an aussie car, guess they were wrong. I'll have to check the model code. I thought it felt slower than my old s13 (tuned) but not 200bhp slow.

I suppose it could allways be a NZDM?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
It could be but I doubt it, I would say it is just a normal JDM (the NZDM cars were tuned the same as the JDM's anyway). If is was an ADM car it should have had stupid reflectors in the rear bar.