What's new

turbo elbow

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Opinions of others may differ for non-JDM brands but my Japspeed elbow has been awesome... It fitted perfectly (designed specifically for S15 from what I can gather as there's an S14 option) and so far after 12 months of hard use like DWYB (twice), daily driving and Nurburgring there's not a crack in sight. I've had the turbo/elbow off 3 times within that time so I've checked it properly not just looking from the top!! :thumbs:

One tip about changing turbo elbow - make sure you WD40 the damn nut thing that attaches the lamda sensor to the stock elbow LOTS before removing it for new elbow replacement. We had to resort to heat/butane gas gun to get it loose as it's very seized over time :wack:

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Cheers for the advice mate,I looked at mine yesterday is it was up on the ramps gettin the diff sorted,and the nuts didn't look rusted but will still whack some on there just in case ,had heard good things about the japspeed stuff so maybe the way to go.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Mine and Tooley's Japspeed elbows both cracked within a year. I guess it's just pot luck but I'll be putting a Tomei elbow and mani on next time the setup comes off.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Just been readin around and there are quite a few japspeed ones have cracked,As you say kinda luck of the draw but I don't mind payin a little extra to get a branded elbow if I know I am only gonna have to pay out once,will look into the tomei item thanks mate

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'm not saying the tomei one won't crack, it's just a lot less likely. Their around £130 + shipping at the moment.

V

vti_coupw

im running a japspeed one on my 15 and no problems, great fit too, will make a great difference to the car when you fit one too

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
No I know your not saying it defo won't crack,but I am thinking for the extra cash maybe worth getting a branded product as ther e really isn't much difference in price ,will do some research before I make my decision though

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
That's exactly what I'm saying :nod:

I only found out my japspeed elbow was cracked when I took it off to change the turbo gasket. They all seem to crack in the same place too.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Craig - where do you think it's most likely to crack... I'll make sure I double check the next time I'm over or under the car lol :thumbs:

Yeah it's a question of how much your willing to pay and how much it ballaches one if it was to go wrong... unless it's critical like injectors or fuel pump then I won't just buy any old popular eBay ****e haha :) I find I'm working on the car so much that swapping a turbo elbow that last more than 18 months is acceptable and NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING can be worse than changing turbo gaskets for the 3rd time within a 10 month period grrrrr!!!!

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Lol,yeah I am not saying I will completely disregard the japspeed elbow . Its just I am willing to pay top whack to get the best stuff,my car only has 38 k miles on it,all the tuning parts on my car so far are nismo and tein, and seeing as I don't drive her all that much I think I will hopefully only have to spend out once on things like this so figure I may as well spend that little extra and throw some brand snobbery into it lol

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It cracks on the left hand side of the 'elbow to turbo' flange. Along the weld too so it isn't particularly easy to spot.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers Craig will double check the next time as I'm sure it'll all be off again before Christmas haha?! :wack:

Just a tip - make sure you change the turbo/elbow and elbow/downpipe gaskets otherwise it'll most likely leak when it's all put back together!! You should be able to get to all of the 5 nuts for the elbow from above and below without taking the turbo out but as said make sure they are all WD40'd a lot before removal and ensure the lamda nut thing is gone over many times as well :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Right had a few quotes for the tomei elbow,cheapest uk is 211 and will take 2-3 weeks,but in japan can get it for 135 ,anyone know how much import tax etc would be roughly on that,just wondering if it would be worth ordering it myself?

T

Toby

Normally you pay about 20% the value, plus an admin fee of about £15, plus of course the delivery charge.