What's new

Wheels offset and width

Reaction score
Country
Im after some new 18" wheels for my S15 and was wondering what offset and width can I get away with, Ive got chargespeed front wings and rear quarters so ive got a bit more room than standard but dont want the wheels coming past the arch as when I pull onto my crappy drive my current rear wheel dissapears into the arch so i cant have them coming out past them other wise they are going to damage my arches. Also what staggered setups are available from rota that would fit an S15 as im struggling to find info around forums etc and I think staggered setups look great :cool:.

Im after either Rota grids or GTR's

Cheers guys, Nicko :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
why would anyone want to spend more than twice the price on te37's, nimsos etc when cosmetically they are pretty much the same as grids and gtr's etc.....its the age old question thats getting a bit played out now mate - i'd be with you if he was buying inovits or something....

if someone can afford proper pimp jdm wheels then thats great and people will respect you for it, but if someone fancies rotas then thats up to them (i did and think they are great value for what you get). they are not bad wheels, are light, well made and available in good widths/offsets/colours with uk backup - and they come with sentre caps that fit. how gutted would you be if you just bought te37's and they finally arrived and not long after you had a mishap and put one into a kerb - then think if it was rotas - a new wheel could be on your doorstep the next day for not a fortune.

theres more reasons to buy them than not to, as far as i know the only reason not to is a 'moral' objection as the designs are copied (and the odd jdm bummer posting a picture of a smashed up wheel thats blatantly had a massive knock) but to be honest i doubt the jdm companies feel badly for us for paying so much for thier stuff so why feel bad for them for losing custom

just my pennies worth, don't take offence its just i'm pro choice, let someone do what they want whether you agree or not - ultimately its up to them.

NICKO- its a tough call to get specs from anyone as the chargespeed kit has wider rear and front fenders by x amount so i guess you will have to do some research into it. the best thing to do is find out the offset and width of the wheels that are on there as a starting point as you know they fit then work all your calculations off of that using something like this http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

:)

Last edited:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
oh, and with the setup of front and rear fenders you have you'd be able to fit the right staggered set of gtr-d's ;)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
lol the age old blast at Rota and copycat companies... well I went for Rotas even after people were putting up pics of Rota rims which had 'apparently' miraculously self-destructed. Oh the 'horror stories'... well, wheels do tend to break when an idiot decides to kerb or crash the car so dressing up these incidents as 'my Rota rims decided to warp/crack cos they are crap copies' ahem bullsh*t :)

Put it this way I've had my Rota GTR's for 8 months or thereabouts now. I've done DWYB, daily driving over every sort of road surface averaging 1k miles per month and 10 laps of the Nurburgring going as fast as I could taking kerbs and hitting the Karousell big style (lost a diffuser part cos I was pushing hard lol). And so far the spokes are still straight and not a crack in sight ;)

Anyways soz to off topic just wanted to add my penneth... if you would like a comparison, I've got 17 x 9.5 all round. All wheels are ET30. Front vented arches are about +25mm. Rear ones are +50mm. No need for spacers at all on the rear and reckon you can easily get away with 10J width - still without need for spacers. On the fronts it's a different story - 9.5J still fits under arches ok but 10mm spacer was required since rims were touching my Tein coilovers. Everything looks flush tho just the backs are too far in if anything and I'll get 5mm spacers to push them out more :)

sx-si

Reaction score
why would anyone want to spend more than twice the price on te37's, nimsos etc when cosmetically they are pretty much the same as grids and gtr's etc.....its the age old question thats getting a bit played out now mate - i'd be with you if he was buying inovits or something....
sorry thats wrong on a whole new level.
you can get real jdm rims for around the same price as rota's delivered including vat/ duty and tax
http://www.tougedistribution.com/item--Work-Emotion-XD9-18x9-Silver--WXD9-023/
heres some tidy work xd9s in 9j (you can pick your offset in the link at the top)
each wheel is only 247 bgp ;)
so 4 wheels including a eu container (which covers the tax and customs charges and delivery to your door) ends up at 1240 bgp

price of 4 9.5j rota gtr-d without delivery 920? so add say 30 for delivery and thats 950 for 4 wheels?
you do realise that extra 290 bgp is just shipping and uk tax ;)

nicko what size front and rear overfenders you running? also do you have coilovers?

im running 11.5j et5 rear work anhelo's and 9j et-4 fronts
with 50mm rear over fenders and 25mm front fenders

also i have nothing against rota im just pointing out the fact that jdm products arnt as expencive as they are lead to belive by others

Last edited:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
mate i'm not wrong here, if anything i'm underestimating the expense - bear in mind hes already said the designs he likes:

grids - which are based on te37's, which come in at 2116+tyres @ approx 350 a set = 2466 from touge
(rotas in the same width and offset less than 1200 with tyres, nuts, lockers and delivery

or

gtr's - which are based on the rays nismo lmgt4, which come in at 1844 (with 25% off at the moment), not including taxes, shipping or tyres (i'd hazard a guess at 2636 with the vat and a delivery cost of 120-00 as per the touge cost).
again the rotas are the same price as above, 1200 with tyres, nuts, lockers and delivery...................