What's new

Which wheels, in 17s or 18s -You decide (Big brother Stylee)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
So would +35 be better??

I really want to avoid anything sticking out :nod:

:EDIT: Nicely, when i looked at your wheels at D1 the rim of the wheel didnt stick out, it was the curve of the spokes that made it stick out :nod: If the spoke were flat it wouldnt stick out :no:

Reaction score
yep your right +35 will be ideal, but you may have to check with the wheel size chart of your particular model you are getting as they may not have the exact offset you are after. best of luck, keep us updated. :D

Reaction score
if you want performance and all round practicality - go the 17's. If you want more bling factor - then go the 18's.

I'm running 17 X 8 (38J + 3mm spacer to achieve 35J) (225/45/17) front and 17 X 9 (38J) (245 /40/17) rear. With rear camber arms set to -1.95 rear, and -2.25 front - there are no stick out issues. (ps and rolled guards rear).

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its funny. I was running my track wheels again at the weekend (350Z 17s). As commented before, they are a perfect offset and are good for track. Rolled-up for the session yesterday and one of the first things someone said was that they preferred them to my road wheels as they were more discrete.... And the same person had previously said that he like the 18s...

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I'm still toying with the idea of 17's and not 18's.

18's wil look good, but 17's better for ride and tire prices :D - I'm just worried the 17's will look lost in the arches.

Here's my car on 17s -

With a more suited offset the wheels may look smaller.

Anyone else running 17s? Put up a pic to help me decide - I'm also fast running out of time.

Reaction score
would machineing the inner of the rim be a bad idea?

basically to raise the offset, to move them in some!

i've heard of it being done, but not heard the results of! seems a shame to loose the emotions for rota or alike!

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
No they are the actually wheel as fitted to me car i.e. 17x9j +17.

Decided to go for 17s :D

Machining the wheel was an option, and a few people have suggested it, but not very easy to do, or get someone to do. Plus if i get it done and they knacker the wheels, i cant sell them on.

That'll be another thread - Anyone want my wheels? :wave:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I-nearly-bought-a-batty said:
check my car out on the "finally got my A into G" thread - 17's look fine. Comfort, cost, performance - it makes sense.
Just looked, car is sweet and wheels look good on it :nod:, they dont look to small either, obviously smaller then 18s would look but still look good.

Reaction score
i wouldn't get em in that colour for your car... but the style of rim is nice!

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I'm not keen on the colour either, but they only do a 7j rim in Bronze :ghey: Can always get them powder coated another colour :D

Cheap as in ?110 a wheel cheap :thumbs: - Which isnt much more than i have been quoted for the Works wheels, but they cost ?250 to fly over......

Reaction score
I'd pass on them due to the max 8" wheel width. If you want to run anything bigger than 235 at the rear, I'd go for a 9" rim. I know when I was searching for wheels, one point that narrowed down the possible selection was which wheels I could buy in a staggered fitment. 8" in the front is ideal for 225 and the the width of both the wheel and tyre ensure your Sil doesn't turn in like a steam roller / the 9" and 245 at the rear will ensure you have at least some reasonable chance of putting the power to the ground. Also, if the offset is weak, 8" won't be very flush with the guards and given your bodykit, the wheels will look lost in the arches. Sure, you can use spacers to bring them out, but bigger spacers tend to accelerate wear on your suspension parts.

Reaction score
those GTR rims (Rota?) are identical to a wheel here called the Koya "Drift Tek". I was considering these as my wheels except they come in light gold colour only which put me off as I would have had to fork out $500 for painting. Still, this is a good looking wheel and would suit your ride. I reckon a nice chunky 5 or 6 spoke wheel would do the trick :cool: