What's new

What to look out for

Reaction score
Country
Well im after a decent S15 silvia Spec R and im finding it hard to find a nice one atm, but when I do find one worth looking at I just wanted a few things that I should look out for on the car when I come to buying, anything useful would be great, many thanks, NICKO :nod:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Hi NICKO,

If you have a look in the useful threads here: http://forum.s15oc.com/announcement.php?f=12&a=1 there is some info on buying an S15. Also look for general problems, like poor maintenance and crash damage.

Usual signs of crash damage are body panels badly fitting, check the chassis/subframes for welding etc. Mismatch paintwork colour from one panel to the next. Also have a good look underneath and inside the arches for rust... Other than that just the usual mechanical checks on test drive etc. Have a good listen around turbo area when idling or get the revs going as turbo gaskets are prone to leaking!

Have a look in the for sale section. There are quite a few nice examples up for sale at the moment.

Good Luck :)

Reaction score
Meddler has it all pretty well covered. Another good indication of crash damage is bolts that hold the panels on should be the same colour as the car not looking like replacements. Have at look at how many Ks are on the clock and compare that to the state of the interior also. If it has 40000 on the clock and the gear knob is cactus and a holes in the carpet where your heels go then walk away. Check the general condition of the car. If it's dirty and full of rubbish then the owner no doubt keeps the motor in crappy condition also.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Torque GT always stock really nice ones :)

Also 'For Sale' section has some pretty mint ones... you cannot possibly say there aren't any nice ones around when you see Dean's (which we're all gutted he's selling!!) lol...

Edit: And I notice Roots82 is selling a beauty as well ;)

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I don't think Dean's is for sale any more but there are still plenty of really nice ones for sale at the moment which isn't always the case :)