Screamer Elbow

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ok guys I'm having a sound whore moment lol :rolleyes:

What are people's opinions of screamer elbows for the standard S15 tubby fitment?

http://www.xs-power.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=240

I'm not convinced by any performance gains... I just like to have mentalist loud noises when on full chat haha :p Is is an instant MOT failure (if they spot it although I take mine to somewhere where my decat passes hehe)??

Cheers,

J

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i think its an mot failure as it releases exhaust gas pre-cat......

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I had two on mine when I bought it, sounded like a monster truck on full chat, way to loud for me :( not sure on MOT as I've now changed it back to one wastgate and have the screamer pipe plumbed back into the system. Suppose if you want mentalist loud then go for it :)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I don't know for sure as I've never heard one of these, but I can't see how it would work properly on a turbo with an internal wastgate. They must have put some form of divider in there but it won't seal so you'll always get some exhaust gas going down it that has passed through the turbine, which may sound a bit rough/wierd.
Again, correct me if I'm wrong but if your boosting over 1.0bar I imagine the actuator will be fully closed anyway on the stock turbo passed around 6000rpm as the boost drops off, thus your EBC will close the actuator to get as much flow as possible..?

:)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I was afraid it sounds like more trouble than it's worth lol...

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Craig - I didn't think about how it would get divided inside the exhaust housing doh!! As you say the S15 stock tubby does not divide the wastegate exit and the regular turbine exit having seen inside the opening many times now. So unless a divider plate is provided as part of the screamer elbow it could work but then again without a proper/sealed division between the two exit openings it could mess with the way the gases flow and I can imagine it would stink of petrol fumes if gases are exiting the screamer when idling and pottering about at low speeds!!! :wack:

Reaction score
I think that for a screamer pipe you need a proper external wastegate for it and maybe the small added benfit is that it might prevent boost spikes. I intedend on running one once i have a top mount turbo setup as i like my car to be abusive. think it would get perdestrians out of the road quicker too!!! I can not say anymore than that really as i've yet to be in a car with one fitted.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I've sat in my mate Albert's Knight-Racer R33 500+ bhp with TD05 externally 'gated fitted with screamer. The sound is fine by my standards from inside the cabin and this is what first got me thinking about getting one fitted.

However, I don't like doing things if it's gonna mess up the flow/running of car as it is :wack:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i dont think this type of screamer is any good with external wastegate as you wouldnt be using the internal wastegate anyway, so you wouldn't need one thats integral to the elbow straight off the turbo - all it would do is constantly leak exhaust gas as it will not seal inside the exhaust housing. you can set it up with a dump pipe if you have the external wastegate but this would have to be run off the collector pre turbo

Reaction score
They sound pretty gash with an internal wastegate. Sounds like a tractor on idle as the elbow never properly seals the wastegate gases away from the turbo gases, and you end up with an exhaust blow.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Well that's confirmed it... not for me lol!!

I'll just have to get a massive turbo plus external 'gate and dump it out of the front NS wing lol :D

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
you dont even need to do that mate, you can run an external gate on any turbo you just need to weld a port for one to the manifold collector, lock off or weld up the internal gate and run the dump pipe from the wastegate out to where you want it :)