What's new

Big Brake Kit Upgrade Questions

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
TUV approval means the item has undergone very strict inspection/testing and it is safe/legal to use on the roads in Europe. Not every European country requires TUV approval, just the strictest.

I've just been doing a bit more research about this and it seems the K-Sport callipers do have high temp internal scraper seals apposed to the traditional rubber boots :) This is the same system that AP use in some of their road callipers. As for them being a 'knock off product', I've always been under the impression they were an American based company with the items being designed and developed in America, but manufactured in Taiwan..? Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

:)

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
Am sure this is the same case for D2 Brakes and Coilovers since its part of the same company dealing under a another name?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, they are the same products. Not sure if you get the TUV certificate with the D2's though but they are the same.

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
have to say the products are still good I had D2 coilovers on my Civic and would of pick them over Tein Basics again anyday, The only reason I would go for the Wilwood ones over the K-Sports is down to looks at the end of the day the Wilwood's look a damn sight nicer compaired to them if I could get the same design as you have on yours Craig I think that would be the only way I would go more towards the K-Sports,

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
If you're mainly concerned about looks then I personally would go for a GTR Brembo setup and do something similar to what Darren did with his as they look immense.
You can still get the same design K-Sports as I have. I recently ordered the rear set to match my fronts.. you just have to wait about 10 weeks for them to be sent over as they are special order now.

:)

Reaction score
Country
I can't believe I forgot to mention F40 or F50 Brembo setups. I would also take a look at those as you can find them for a great deal if you do some digging around.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
k-sport, d2, bc, g4: all the same generic copy thing with different colours and labels. If you like these brands you should pick up a hong kong/taiwan car modifying magazine like "option fan" and check out all the great stuff they have - you name it they've copied it or can copy it. If you make a big enough order they will put anything you want on it... "made in japan"... "JWL"... "ISO" :)

Anyways, between the two options the wilwood+brembo is the better choice imHo, but I would personally save up a bit more and get a brembo or ap racing kit :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
lol, you can't just put an 'ISO' label on them! There is a certain amount of testing that goes into the approval and then a serial numbered certificate is issued to the design ;)

I still fail to see why you have such a problem with this brake design. Is it because they are made in Taiwan? I can't see what they are a copy of, so it can't be that?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Haha!! I like it! :D

I still fail to see what they are a 'cheap copy' of though!?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
ah come on wing, they can't be that bad - so many people use them. everything can be called a copy if you want to go that far, merc were probably the first to invent and fit a power steering system or abs (as they pioneered a lot of driver aids), does this mean everyone else is selling cars with cheap copies? its a bit of a sticky wicket.....they are essentially the same things but they are not....

Reaction score
Country
They arent cheap copies of anything otherwise they wouldnt be making such a huge effort to increase their own brand awareness. If its the design then im not exactly sure how you could actually design a totally different braking system whilst still being effective ??

Anyway i have a set of UNUSED Nissan 350z Brembos along with new pds, discs + hoses that ill be fitting soon so i will be able to make justifiable comparisons on both setups :)

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
Unless somebody puts up a pic of the ISO certificate I don't believe they are ISO certified, I'd liken it to me claiming I'm a brain surgeon and I'd hazzard a guess that most people are blown away with the laws of mechanical leverage over anything else.

I just did a search on the generic brands - looks the same?:

These guys didn't happen to somehow make good brakes and bad coilovers, it just so happens that the basic design of brakes is relatively simple as it's "just" a lump of metal with some galleries, holes and recesses - but then you could compare a hyundai to a ferrari in much the same way.

We can debate about this forever much like the rota debate but I only wanted to ask about the piston seals, and got my answer, thanks Craig :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Lol, I like the way you go on about AP brakes as if they are the best you can buy, but they use the exact same method of piston sealing as these K-sports do in some of their ROAD callipers, which is apparently 'dangerous'! ;)

If you search a bit harder I'm sure you could find pictures and details of the ISO certification online. I have the certificate in the box containing my rear setup, but TBH I can't be bothered to dig it out just to prove it to you. We all know they are branded differently, that was established very early on, but the fact sill remains that they are awesome brakes, no matter where they are made :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
sod the iso certificate, i'd settle for the 'i've been fitted to thousands of stupid power cars and they are still alive' certificate :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Haha, yeah there's that one too!! ;)

Reaction score

Picked these up off ebay mate for £350 with discs and ferodo ds2500 pads, then decided to paint them and got some new stencils and there like new.. i have seen them for like £600+ but if you look hard you can find cheaper mate...

Fiting my skyline gtst rear brakes tomro- picked up disks, pads and handbrake assembly for £100 then i needed the handbrake cables from db power for £60 and your there..

Last edited:

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
You could have chosen any colour in the world but you had to go for orange? :no:

Haha, only messing look :cool: just like mine :D

Reaction score
Country
Has anyone used an Alcon brake set up?
Always fancied them but never had the money to buy them :(