What's new

Sub Box

Reaction score
Is anyone like me and finding it hard to fit a decent size Sub box in ya S15 ?
i thought i had the perfect box at first but its starting to anoy me now
i dont want to sacrifice sound quaility for size and fiber glass is nothing but a joke, so im asking if anyone has come up with the perfect box?
was looking at the JL CP108LG-W3v3 this is the best i could find for a redy made.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Diamond sub run in small enclosures and sound amazing,had one in my old car and my 12" diamond sounded just as gOod as my JL 15 so defo would consider them,if its just a box your after then I would seriiusly consider making one yourself its easy enough dude just need mdf,jigsaw,a sealant some screws and acoustic carpet then you make it what ever shape you want so long as the enclosure is the right size for the sub you will be fine,plus a lot cheaper too...

Last edited:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
get a local audio shop to make a box for you, being in NT that may be difficult for you.

I ended up using a FG one off ebay that sits in the side of the boot. I haven't powered it up yet, but I think it will be fine for my 10".

chelle83

Reaction score
we have just built our own sub box for my S15 and re-trimmed the whole boot to match, i will post pics up tomorrow if you'd like? By the way it was a nightmare to build a box that fitted nicely

Reaction score
oh no i have no problem in makeing one
i was just wondering if anyones got any designs allready.
makeing a speaker box isent just a matter of a few bits of wood and glue, its a very mathamatical aquasion,
specialy in working out your port dyamiters and lenghs all has majoir efects in what fequency it will produce.
just that the Silvia has a very small trunk so its gona be pritty hard to pull off any desent design. the only thing i can think of doing is useing a slim line sub.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Its pretty simple still,you can get all the specs normally off the info that comes with the sub... That's why I suggested the diamond stuff as they can run a 12" in a 3/4 cubic ft box which is pretty small really,is only slightly bigger than the sub itself. Sorry I said it was easy but to me it is,as I worked for 4 years fitting av equipment ,sound systems and retriMming interiors lol
Your other option would be something like kicker square subs as they run in really small enclosures

Last edited:

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
the design is sub specific as far as the size is concerned. I have used this software in the past. It is quite good and it is free. http://www.ajdesigner.com/speaker/bcv.php

depending on where you want to put your sub will also dictate some of the parameters of you design, ie. port sizing. IMHO I will only ever build sealed boxes. Ported boxes are great for volume, but sound terrible. (relatively speaking)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
have to agree totally,i always used sealed enclosures definately better for sound quality,really depends what you want from your system...

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
you can still make very loud sealed enclosures, but usuallly the frequency response is not as good. It still comes back to the sub and the box size though.

Reaction score
Meddler your spot on, the design is sub specific, thats why its going to be hard to build the perfect box to fit in such a small space. but remember diferent box designs give off difernt freq's.
Im hopeing to get a 10" sub box to fit up behind the back seat so that you have that lower deck space in the boot but maintaining the right specs for the sub.
So sub selection is going to be hard aswell due to small depth space.
Myself i prefer a nice ported enclosure being that you realy need to emphasize those lower frequencys due to the droneing road and trafic noises, so you want that rapid air movement inside the cabin.
sealed enclosures i find more responsive but not as low.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Is all down to the sub ,my diamond 12" in a small sealed enclosure had better frequency response,dropped just as low and hard as my ;" 15 so is def down to the sub choice

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Im hopeing to get a 10" sub box to fit up behind the back seat so that you have that lower deck space in the boot but maintaining the right specs for the sub.
That too is my long term goal. I have the one in the side of the boot for a tempory until I get time to do the undershelf box.