What's new

engine bay cleaning

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Ok going to give by engine bay a good clean, anyone got any tips? Also what cleaning products to people use?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Keep any water or degreaser away from the coil packs and sensitive areas like fuse box and air filter

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I use Autoglym TFR (traffic film remover) but i think the engine degreaser they do is the same stuff.

Squirt it on, rub it in with a soft brush, then wash it off with water. Really good stuff but I guess any degreaser will do a good job.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Ok cheers Craig, will have a look at autogylm stuff.. had a go today with some oven cleaner, got most done and its start. Also got some brasso on my pipe work and that came up a treat.

Reaction score
Country
I used Mr Muscle foam spray (cant remember if it was kicthen or bathroom), best stuff for getting off the really stubborn grime you find undr the actuall bonnet etc. Tried everything else inlcuding polish, degreaser etc and Mr Muscle had the best result :)

Reaction score
What! are you guys cooking your sausages and steaks in your engine bays.:eek: Seriously though I would be careful using things like oven cleaner as most of them contain caustic soda which is very corrosive.

A good brand of engine degreaser will do the same job without eating into paint work

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
What! are you guys cooking your sausages and steaks in your engine bays.:eek: Seriously though I would be careful using things like oven cleaner as most of them contain caustic soda which is very corrosive.

A good brand of engine degreaser will do the same job without eating into paint work
OK thanks, I'll stick to the proper stuff next time.. :)

Reaction score
I used a damp cloth with washing up liquid and then some Muc Off on the really grotty bits and finally some Autosol on the shiny metal bits.....came up a treat!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I never have much time to clean the car so bought some Gunk from Halfords which was reduced to £5 for a large tin :D

Bagged up 'sensitive' areas with Tesco carrier bags and cable ties.

Brushed loads of Gunk then used watering can to wash off... did it in about an hour :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Yeah i probably wouldnt reccomend an oven cleaner as these are pretty corrosive stuff (which is why they reccomend using gloves). I just used a normal kitchen/bathroom spray that foamed up. Didnt affect the paint at all but worked really well getting the carbon deposit off the under bonnet area which the degreaser had very little effect on.

Id suggest trying a small area first. Once done its also probably a good idea to apply some kind of wax or sealent again to provide a protective layer and help cleaning next time.