What's new

Tyre pressures

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Just a quick question,any advice on what sort of pressures people are running on their tyres?
i have 18's with stretched 245's on the rear and 225 on the front any ideas what pressures i should be running,been floating around 32-34 psi any help woud be much appreciated

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Theres 2 ways to think about pressures in wide tyres. I had always thought the wider the tyre, the lower the pressure should be as there is more tyre area in contact with the ground and this going with F=PA theory. But if you have wide tyres with a fairly low profile, the shoulders of the tyre get a lot of their support from the sidewall, causing the middle of the tyre to 'sag'. I currently run 38psi in the 255 rears and 32psi in the 225 fronts.
On the BMW 3-series range that use the same size tyres as I run, they recommend something like 42psi in the rears and 34psi in the front. Seems mad to me, but it must work.

Play around with them and see what feels best.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Cheers for the info mate,guess I will just have to try a few different set ups then tiLl I find one that works well. Some of the set ups nowadays are pretty strange they suggest I run 35 front 32 rear on my type r which seemed a bit strange at the time but it really does work just was not too sure on stretched tyres how high I could go pressure wise,thanks again

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I run 40psi all round. I have 225's on an 8.5" rim on the front and 265's on 8.5" rim at the back. Diameter is 19". I found that if I run lower pressure that 40psi I tend to scrub the sidewalls (Ie. the tyre rolls over) I even run 40 psi on my wifes subaru liberty. It gives good feedback from the tyres even though they feel a little harsh as far as ride comfort goes.

I was told to run higher pressures on a defensive driver day I did, for the reason of better control and feedback from the tyre.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Cheers for the info màte,it all helps nice to get a different perspective will try a few different combinations over the weekend and see what feels the best

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
lol I run much lower but only according to how I like it to handle?! :wack:

Currently on 30 psi for the fronts and 34 for the rears. I hate understeer so want them as low as poss on the fronts and the rears can spin up easier with more air in them ;)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
What size wheels are you running mate? I think it is all down to personal preference,finding something that's works for you and gives you the handling characteristics your after for how you drive