What's new

Living with a 2way

E

enda

Ello ello

Im looking into a S15 that has a 2way already fitted, but as its my first RWD car, and it happens to be up around 320bhp @.9bar im slightly worried im gona do something nasty some morning on my way to college/work :down:

Are they forgiving or do you have to be paying 100% attention 100% of the time?

Would it be better to get the diff swapped for OEM or a 1.5way?

Im not goin to be drifting it much at all, I just love the shape of s15's and will more than likely just do track days(not drifting)

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I have a 2-way and running similar power. Like you I don't do drift days, and haven't even had it on a track yet, however I have pushed it hard over the TT course in the Isle of Man, and the 2-way was fine, stuck to the road like glue.

For daily driving the std diff is best suited, but I don't have any problems with the 2-way to be fair. If it dose step out they are quite easily controlled, and you can get it back without any problems. (just take it easy and get a feel for it).

subzero

Reaction score
same boat as s15ak .... i reckon youll get used to it, just take it easy for a good while, i wouldnt call it forgiving tho if you get it proper sideways and panic , letting go the accelerator will leave you in more trouble . thats based on my ATS diff whihc i find very aggressive.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yes I'm in two minds about getting 1.5, 2 way or just leaving stock helical?! :wack:

From what I can gather 1.5 way will still give you locking (a bit) when you decelerate and lift-off etc... And having just enjoyed some track sessions on Silverstone for a second time I can say if I judge the first fast corner Copse wrong and brake late then lift-off I don't want the car to start drifting at 80 mph!!!

2 way does not scare me for the road as I can easily drive to match how the car responds but it's when I want to track it and I really do push the car, I don't want backend crazy action all the time... Maybe one simply cannot have a decent drift AND track car at the same time :(

Reaction score
Ello ello

Im looking into a S15 that has a 2way already fitted, but as its my first RWD car, and it happens to be up around 320bhp @.9bar im slightly worried im gona do something nasty some morning on my way to college/work :down:

Are they forgiving or do you have to be paying 100% attention 100% of the time?

Would it be better to get the diff swapped for OEM or a 1.5way?

Im not goin to be drifting it much at all, I just love the shape of s15's and will more than likely just do track days(not drifting)
Personally mate if you've never drifted and the car has a 2-way, if you don't know how to handle the car when the arse end steps out then get the stock helical diff dude.

I have a cusco 2way fitted running around 325 hp coilies etc etc and i do do drift track days quite regular. The car is a daily and is a bitch on a day to day basis. Every corner i go around under 40 mph clunks badly (while the diff is trying to lock).

Very unforgiving in the rain. Also because the 2 way both locks on acceleration and deceleration if you ever have to slam on the arse end is going to lock up.

all that being said though when the back end is out it easy easily controlable if you know how to control the car.

if you aren't going to use the car for drifting then sell the diff and buy a s14a diff or a the s15 helical. You should be able to sell your 2 way for around 350 - 400 quid :)

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
I have a 2 way in my road s15 same boat as richy its a cusco running 325ish hp coilies etc, i love it it steps out lovely and is easy to control, its a ****ter in the rain. just got to pay more attention. ive had to slam on at over 100 before and she locked up but was easy to get back.

It did take me some time to get used to it. ( ask richy!) how many times did i spin her when she was fitted with veredstines!!!

the only bad point is its killed all of my standard bushes. so i need to upgrade mine as im gettin more than the usual diff clunk now.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
First RWD + decent power + 2way = trouble... Drive like a very sane person and you will be fine leave the fun stuff for the track, otherwise sell it and go with a s15 helical.

Reaction score
Country
for ages i have been trying to figure out why at high speeds when i break the ass end locks up AND feels twitchy

problem solved I KNOW my spec r has a 2 way diff :) might consider the standard one soon

Curryzz

Reaction score
Im thinking about swaping mine for a two way as i love drifting and i enjoy it but it just takes me quite a bit of power and clutch to get into a slide, i have no idea what dif i have because it will slide but iv watched a couple friends and there cars step out so much more smoothly and seems alot more controlable, when i got my car the chap(mook) said he thinks it has a 5:1 dif or something but how can i find out what dif im runing?He wasnt sure, the S15 comes with a LSD standand rite? Will that drift fairly easy?

Reaction score
Just to add to what's already been said, I used to have a 2 way diff in my R33 Skyline. I used to drift it and it made the back kick out in a really smooth, controllable way. This car was my daily driver for over a year and I used it in all weathers including the snow and ice. I found that if you drive it like a 'normal' car, then its fine, but if you put power on with lock on, then the back will obviously lock up and kick out - can be more than a little daunting while you are getting used to it.

If you do plan to keep it, then I would really recommend that you get yourself to a DWYB day and learn how to properly control it when it kicks out. If you don't plan to keep it, then I might be interested in doing a deal with you for my stock diff?

HTH