What's new

Silvia prices

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Good afternoon!

Ok, so a 99/00 plate Spec-R with 50-60K on the clock is worth £9000-£10500 going by prices on pistonheads and various importers in the country. (Correct me if im wrong :D)

How much do you think you cars have de valued since you bought them? :eek: My only reservation with the them is the price they fetch for such an old car! My peers at work think im crazy for considering a £10K, 10 year old car with minimal at best service history instead of maybe a nearly new Focus ST or FN2 CTR for a few grand more.

Main problem being i can see there point, Ive got the little devil on one shoulder "get one do it" and the angel on the other "no go sensible!" Feel like im :annoyed:

Any of you guys have the same dilemma?!

Reaction score
Country
Im sort of in the same boat mate, for the past 3 years ive wanted an Astra VXR but now when ive almost got enough to get one ive changed my mind and thinking of getting an S15.

The S15 is a dream car of mine so now that I know that I can get insured ive decided it will be a much better investment than an Astra VXR, for one reason they hold their value better I mean have you seen how much cars like VXR's and ST's have decreased in value and these are 2005-2008 cars im on about here and were 18k - 20k+ new and now you can get them for 12k where as S15s are 10 years old now but still fetching 10k!

You also get a lot more car for your money, I mean S15 - iconic car, very rare and easily tunable, great fun and superb looks...and also cheaper :D

Reaction score
Country
Going by those prices if mine was still stock id have lost about £500-£1000 in 2 years in devaluation :)

Seriously you cant really compare a Focus or Civic to an S15 tbh. Considering how rare they are and perfromance potential with RWD the only real comparison would be something like an RX7, R34-GTT, Supra, BMW M3 top off my head.

If you buy right then a 10 year old S15 will also probably be in better nick than many 2-3 year old Fords or Vauxhalls etc.

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Going by those prices if mine was still stock id have lost about £500-£1000 in 2 years in devaluation :)
Thats what i wanna hear! Thanks! :)

Im just being uber cautious really, 8 months of Mitsubishi ownership has left me an emotional wreck when comes to fast/rare cars! Once bitten twice shy as the saying goes!

Was just comparing the price really, not the models as such. Is sold a EP3 type-R(fantastic car massive mistake selling it) for the evo so getting a FN2 civic would be a massive step back! On the performance front anyway!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
You'll loose less through depreciation on a S15 than you would on pretty much anything else bar classics.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
funnily my wifes Subary Liberty (Legacy) has lost less money in the last 3 years than mine :( For some reason here in Oz they have lost value quite quicky. Mine has gone from £20000 to £ 9800 in that time. (in your prices)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
true, but it does seem as though this style of car has lost it's value significantly no matter where it is.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Mike - you touched on what I was going to say...

FUN, PERFORMANCE, DRIVER INPUT, TUNING POTENTIAL, RAREITY, RWD = S15

BORING, COMMON, FWD, MORE DEVALUE = Focus ST and alike...

As mentioned condition is based on mileage not how old the car is so 50/60k S15 is only a little higher than 30/40k Focus and believe me without the crappy weather and salt crap they put on UK roads the Silvia will be waaay cleaner underneath!! ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your pricing is pretty much spot on. I don't own one at the moment so can't tell you how much mine has depreciated, however what I will say straight away is that an S15 will depreciate ALOT less than a common as muck Astra VXR or Ford Focus!!!

Also, what you are saying about service history on these cars is correct. It'll be very hard to find out pretty much any of history of the car before it came over here, if at all. To be fair though, if your importing one, service history isn't so much of a big deal - as long as you get a high grade one (on the auction sheet) which the importers guy in Japan has checked over to be clean then you'll be getting a good car. I haven't heard or read of any major problems, and you should get a warranty with an importer anyway.

You'll find that cars in Japan have a significant difference in mileage (or kilometerage lol!) so the chances are alot of them haven't been ragged about as much as cars do over here. Despite them being ten years old, you will easily find S15's over in Japan with about 40k miles, and even less than that if you are prepared to wait - in the meantime your mate is out at the Vauxhall main stealer buying himself a 60k FWD Astra VXR for £12,995 which in three years time will be worth about half that. Theres also the fact that the Japs don't salt the roads in the winter so even a ten year old S15 will be practically imaculate underneath!

To me, getting an S15 is a no brainer in the sense of depreciation, mods, driving enjoyment and rarity. Just the rarity does it for me, as seeing the same old cars around does bore me!

EDIT:
FUN, PERFORMANCE, DRIVER INPUT, TUNING POTENTIAL, RAREITY, RWD = S15

BORING, COMMON, FWD, MORE DEVALUE = Focus ST and alike...
Exactly what i'm saying in a nutshell! FWD cars are what your mum drives! RWD have alot more potential, take more skill and care to drive and as a result are so much more fun!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
I know guys that have got brand new VXR arstas in a year dropping 3-4 grand, my s15 has a fully stamped serv history aswell so cant complain :) best car I have had!

Last edited:

Curryzz

Reaction score
I work for honda and iv had two ep3s and drove pretty much all apart from an nsx, including a supercharged DC5 and i still prefer my S15 i just seem to never get bord, evan thismorning coming to work popping and banging :) Rwd is the only way for me now:)

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for all the replies guys, If i wasn't convinced S15 was the way before i am now! Some guy is looking at the evo sunday so if he has it, the S15 search maybe on. :D I emailed SVA imports about this one http://www.svaimports.com/details.php?ID=584 to find out milage, has done 66000 and had some service history, looks very nice though. :)

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Looks more like a vertex kit to me tho?
Yeah i had thought that!?

Had a look on torque-gt's website most of the ones they have are stock, was looking for one with some expensive parts on so i wouldnt have to buy myself! :D

Evo sold yesterday too btw! :thumbs:

Reaction score
Yea, it definately works out better value to buy one that's got a few bits on it as the parts bill soon adds up as you start modding! :wack:

I'm not sure of the normal UK 'landed' prices, but torque-gt seem very expensive for pretty much stock S15s! My S15 from powervehicles didn't cost much more than some of them, although there was more hassle involved in importing it etc.

Reaction score
Im not 100% sure and no one knows yet but.... I MAY be selling mine soon :(

PM me if your interested :thumbs: