What's new

SR20 Engine

Reaction score
Country
Just a quick question guys.

Been having a debate with a friend of mine about the SR20.

He owns a Nissan GTIR and I was saying how the GTIR has the same engine thats in the S15 etc but he says its not, its actualy different..

I was adamant they were the same as I read on wiki before it states the SR20DET is used in the 200sx Silvia GtiR etc.

't is a popular engine coming from a variety of nissan cars, generally the Nissan Silvia and 180SX. It also came in the Pulsar GTI-R and the Nissan Bluebird.'

BUT I think he may be right as if you go on wiki and type nissan gtir it states the engine used is the SR20 but its a unique varient that is found only in the Gtir.

'It has an ATTESA 4WD system (also used on some U12 & U13 Bluebird models), and a unique variant of the SR20DET engine (not used on any other car).'

So how do they differ? Can anyone shed any light?

Cheers

Reaction score
They're quite a bit different. The GTiR has got ITBs on it, and its mounted latitudially (sp?) across the engine bay bolting onto a 4WD box. They're more like a red top SR20 as well, there's no VVT on the pulsar engines :)

Reaction score
Country
Yeh I know about the inlet and drivetrain set up, im talking more internaly...inside the block is it the same? As he said they have different oil ways etc so im wondering what else could be different, and also what could be changed across to the s15...

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I thought the block itself was the same, it was just the head and a few other bits and pieces that were different, it is after all an SR20. Otherwise they would have given it a different designation. Obviously you wouldn't include the gearbox / transfer case in the discussion.