What's new

buying my first S15

S

s15griff

hey guys, new to this... im goin looking at a s15 during the week, this 1... http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1306907 can any 1 tell me wat they tink??? thanks guys

Reaction score
Country
looks pretty smart! and not a bad price either for the spec, i'd be curious what happened to the previous engine though, or why it got a new one and what was changed at the same time.

if you do get one... i hope it doesnt end the way mine just did... :(

Also - just spotted it says 380bhp + ?!?! i'd be very surprised if that was true, and if it is, i'd be pretty worried about the state of everything under the bonnet. but im sure one of the other guys on here with more knowledge on this will give you more advice

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
are you planning on using it on the road, or as a track car as its setup looks good for the track but will be a back breaking ride on the road, and will suck if you have to start stop in traffic.
But to drift it looks pretty mean, and as mentioned above i would be a bit skeptical of the power figure, and if the engine has stock internals i would consider upgrading them so they dont crap themselves trying to handle that power level. Try and find out what was in that engine rebuild............... rods, pistons bla bla if it has be rebuilt with forged gear then it will probe be OK for a while. also see if the gearbox is stock as the 6 speed was a bit weak and once again that power level might be too hard on it.
Going by the gear used though it seams like whoever did it did not skimp so hopefully it was done properly.

Reaction score
If the specs are true and the engine was rebuilt the right way with upgraded parts then you could be onto a winner of a car but at the same time it could be a right mess under the hood. Also its personal preference but by buying a car that is so complete you do loose out on the fun of building up the car which is half the fun of the S15's.

S

s15griff

tanks guys.
its hard to tink of all those tings bu as far as i know she(yes a lady driver) spend 6000 euro rebuilding the engine and fitting it. she is sellin it as she is due a baby and it dont suit the baby seat and stuff... again as all of you said, i dont tink there is any chance of that car been next or near 380 bhp... the head is port and polished with bigger valves and stuff... as for the daily driven i wil be driven it every day but thankfully no traffic.. it is that crappy 6 speed but as i think the power output is lower than stated i dont think that will be a issue...

Reaction score
As with any performance car, stay away from modified cars even more so if its your first time buying one. While the SR20DET engine is bulletproof, it is not without fault and a car modified the wrong way, and then handed down to a first time owner can ruin the entire experience for you, even more so when its an S15.

For daily driving, you might want to consider one that still has the stock suspension...Nissan engineer good stuff from the factory, and unless you're living where i do, they will hold up and will give you a good feel of how it is suppose to handle rather than buy one with an aftermarket coilover that has been tuned to a mysterious spec...the chassis is capable of drag, drift, autocross, rally and Vmax so getting in one that has the suspension tuned for something other than what you want can make you feel effy. This is my personal experience and only recently in my 6 years with my car have i found that the best compromise for day to day driving and track use is the Nismo S-Tune Suspension system.

Also have it on a lifter at a trusted garage and inspect the underbody. Make sure your frame rails are nice and straight with no flattening or distortion that may indicate an accident or a bad repair in the past. Electronics and rust are not known problems except for tiny spots on the rear subframe. As for the gearbox my car makes 370ps and 412nm and has not broken yet so it'll hold up fine. Its normal for the lever to rock gently in position or in gear, the changes should be smooth especially in 3rd (either upshift from 2nd to 3rd or downshift from 5th to 3rd ). Ive driven cars which engaged hesitantly or after hard shoving and these are the types you wanna avoid. Also note if you do intend to buy one which has a power upgrade, make sure the clutch has been upgraded to suit the power as well...And brace for the best decision you have made yet. :)

Last edited: