What's new

MOT query

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
just back from my MOT on the S15. It passed on everything but they are holding my cert until I rectify one issue...
The clocks only read in MPH & supposably should read in both MPH & KPH. So I have to get sticker made up that are accurate & open the clocks to put them on. Now some might say this is only a minor inconvienence but its another few days off the road while I sort.

My problem with this is that since the car came into the UK it has passed an ESVA test & at least 3 MOTs including 1 at this particular centre. Going to go talk to a supervisor tomorrow & argue the bit out but what do you guys think? Do I have an arguement here?
Also has anybody recently imported anything & had the clocks coverted for esva or whatever the test is now?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I've not known of that one before. AFAIK you need one or the the other, not both.

Reaction score
Country
I believed the only requirement was that the dial needs to state MPH instead of KPH hence the sticker they put on for ESVA ?

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
thats what i thought to. i mean the ESVA was very strict & it passed that so I can't see the problem

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
All MOT stations will have an official folder containing the criteria for everything included in the MOT. Ask them to show you where it says you need it to read MPH and KPH..

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
They had printed out the disc but wer holding it until the visual check was done. Went & argued the bit with the supervisor. he knew it was bull **** & really shouldn't have been stopped for it but just wouldn't go against the tester. His only arguement was that they had done me a great favour by not failing it so as not to have to pay a retest fee.

Anyway I went home, found an old pair of 406 clocks in the garage & after 20 mins came up with this

My clocks only read up to 140 MPH now & are not accurate (20 on clock = 30) but it was enough to get my disc. 5 mins later I was back home & had restored my clocks to their former glory where they will stay until next year