What's new

Hi everyone can I have a bit of advice please

Reaction score
Country
Hi

Ive just signed up my names Jay and im after a bit of advice really.

Im looking into buying a silvia S15 but I am still a bit apprehensive about buying one.

Originally for the past few years ive been looking forward to buying an Astra VXR, but it hit me the other day, id be paying about 13k for one when for a bit less than that I could get a S15 which is a great car and also one of my dream cars.

The only thing is its like a 1999/2000 car as opposed to a 2008 car!

The only things putting me off the silvia are I feel like it would be hard to source parts that I need for it, I mean ive looked on the net for bodykits etc and even they seem hard to find?

The main thing though is the engine, the SR20 is a great engine and highly tunable but it scares me in the fact that it could just blow up and need a massiv rebuild!

Whats you adive on this, are the engines okay if you treat them well and dont abuse them? I want a car thats going to be my every day car so reliable but also fun when I want it! I dont mind maintaining the car and upgrading parts etc as I love messing with cars, I just dont want the engine or box to die on me.

I was looking at this and it seems great for the money if its a decent engine etc

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1471386.htm

What exactly do you need to upgrade on them to make sure they are reliable enough to give them a good run now and again and attend things like DWYB days and not worry about the engine?

Thanks guys.

Jay

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Hi mate and welcome :)

I don't know where you've heard that about the engines blowing up from, but I can assure you thats a great pile of you know what! The SR20 is renowned for being strong and reliable if maintained and treated correctly, and can run upto around 350bhp on standard internals. The gearboxes are the weak link in a very good setup but they still handle low to mid 300's well if treated well. There are upgrade gearboxes and gearsets available, but as you can imagine, they arent cheap.

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for the quick reply mate!

Nobody has bad mouthed the engines to me its just me being parranoid!

I spose you can be like that with any 2.0 turbocharged engine really..at least the SR20 is meant to be a nice strong engine :)

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
the sr20det is one of the most reliable engines out there so who ever said that knows f all.... i have had 3 cars with sr20dets and nothing has ever gone wrong. They are also the best for 1st turbo type car since they are so easy to tune/ work with.

PS do you blade? hence the fruit booter name???

Reaction score
Country
Yeh I skate mate :nod:

Been doing it too long now though! The falls are starting to hurt now im getting old.

Reaction score
Country
There seems to be a lot of videos on youtube of strange noises and problems such as VCT noise and the bottoms knocking their tits off :|

Common problems or just a lot of missued examples out there?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Some get VVT rattle on startup but it doesn't affect driving. Most people ignore it but if it bothers you I think you have to change the sprocket..? Bottom ends knocking will only happen if its been mistreated. The only things I can imagine would cause that would be stuff like running too much power on the standard internals, not changed oil or checked it in years, seriously high mileage.. things like that. If your sceptical about them, go for the VXR :ghey:

;)

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
There seems to be a lot of videos on youtube of strange noises and problems such as VCT noise and the bottoms knocking their tits off :|

Common problems or just a lot of missued examples out there?

Sweet me to been skating since i was like 11 im 25 now lol

VVT rattle is no big issue, bottom ends is unheard of unless your trying to push 450bhp through a stock engine.

Regular oil changes and general servicing correct tunning then it will not go wrong simple.

Its only when you ignore mods such as remaps fuel pumps etc and putting to much boost through then they go wrong but you would expect that if your stupid enough to not tune it propperly.

choice of s15 or VXR......... there is no choise why would any one choose a very slow front wheel drive car over a very fast (incomparrison) rear wheel drive car...... sr20det would be cheaper to tune no doubt. its your call but all the bad rumors you have been hearing is cock.

If you were on about rx7s then you may be onto a point but even with rotary engines aslong as you tune them right and lookafter them they are fine.

This forum is great to any questions will soon get answered :D

And parts are so easy to get for these cars :D plus what with the drift scene getting bigger and bigger in the uk its gettin even easier again.

also are the vids of s15 sr20dets or s14?? since s14 and much more common and get misstreated by chavs ;)

Ps im wondering if we have met since i skate with the coventry lot????

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Cheers for the advice guys.

Yeh I can agree with the fact an S15 would be the better car for the money and im sure it would be the most fun to :D

Tooley - Ive prob seen you yeh if your from the coventry lot, I can only remember a guy called paul who skates with you..the skating scene is dieing here now theres like 4 odd who skate now when back in the day there used to be like 10 + :(

Reaction score
Country
Also consider which car is going to be worth more in 3 years time if you came to sell it... i bet it wont be the Vauxhall !

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hey dude - welcome to S15OC!! :)

Well all the lads have replied what I would have suggested anyways lol... so to make it easier since you're in Wolverhampton and I'm only in Telford if you PM me your number we can try hook up when it's convinient and I'll take you out in mine ;)

I'm sure once you've sat in her and have a look under the hood I'll be able to convince you you're making the right choice :D

There comes a point in life where you either choose RWD or stay with what you know and FWD for the rest of your life. There is only ONE real choice lol...