What's new

What is 'Final Drive'?

Reaction score
Country
Basically I keep seeing this phrase pop up and dont really have much of an idea of what it is..

Also whats the advantages/disadvantages to having a lower ratio/higher ratio final drive, and what does it mean.

many thanks

Reaction score
Its is your diff ratio,your last gearing before it hits the wheels. Lower will give you higher gear speeds and it will take longer to get to redline. You will have a higher top spead. Higher will give quicker response in gears,hit redline quicker and loose a little top speed

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
brilliant!

So a lower ratio gives you a higher top speed
Higher ratio gives you acceleration, but sacrifices top speed

much appreciated

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It gives you the gearing to achieve a higher top speed, but you obviously need the extra power to accompany it. I find the gearing in the standard s15 box to be almost perfect. 6th is quite long but it's more of a cruising gear than anything else.

Reaction score
Country
himmmmm maybe thats why my speed cut does not come in untill about 195 on the speedo

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
Gear ratio changes are one of the best mods to do as it makes the car feel so much more livelier, contrary to what the numbers and percentages seem to say.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yep if you were to purchase and install aftermarket diffs then you can usually select from a range of different ratios AFAIK :)

Craig - the stock S15 6th gear must be way longer cos every other gear I put my foot down at 2500 rpm and she picks up nicely now with remap. However in 6th it's like zzz... zzzzzzzzzz...... :wack:

Reaction score
Country
the beauty of the 6th gear is when you want to cruz and not use copious amounts of fuel... you can, like the viper at 130mph in 6th its doing 2000rpm and at 60mph its doing about 800 in 6th it can be a very economical car.... apart from the fact that it has a 8ltr engine