What's new

Stock rad and Japspeed 50mm comparison

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Thought I'd take some pics having just whipped out the stock rad... man it's filthy... and small lol :rolleyes:

Got a new Japspeed 50mm item to replace... if you want one hurry cos until end of month, they're offering £99 delivered!!! :thumbs:

Also got some hoses on discount too (special offer) and the nice surprise was the Japspeed S15 drift beast air freshener woohooo!!!! :cool:

James

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I know... JAPSPEED FTW!!! :D

Ok after seeing how there's no way I can fit the overheat fan back onto the new 50mm core with the shroud... there's just no room by the looks of it I've ordered x2 electric fans from Japspeed and a Revotec fan controller from Demon Tweeks :)

Speaking to Adrian from Japspeed it looks like I'm gonna mount the two electric fans and then have one running off the Revotec controller (which will use inline 32mm adaptor to rad hose) and this will be set to around 80 deg when it kicks in. Then the second fan can be hard wired to switch which will be put in the cabin and I can flick this on when I'm drifting/tracking/fast road etc.

If it all looks ok I will then remove the viscous fan *waits to be shouted at lol* :p

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I've got that setup waiting to be fitted! I'm going to install a relay and have both fans running from the revotec. :)

S

S15 SILVIA

Bargain that Rad!!
What's the quality like? Good quality aluminium? Welds look ok?
Loads thicker than stock ain't it.
Mike

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
You might find that you get some water overflowing from the expansion tank due to the coolant capacity being much greater than before. I have to leave my expansion tank almost empty to allow for when it is upto temp.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I don't think even Apex can beat that kinda price and I was recommended by other drifters about Japspeed rad quality.

To me it looks good - the welds decent. Only thing slightly off putting is the little pipe that feeds from the neck of the filler where the expansion tube would plumb into is not welded onto the neck... instead it looks like they've drilled a hole and used that PTFE tape, then screwed the small pipe into neck (rather like installing a BSPT tapered port into a sandwich plate if you know what I mean). But I'm sure I'm only being overly fussy on that detail :wack:

The rad drops in fine but make sure you use the original stock rubber mounts that slip onto the bottom of the new rad ;) Also rubber mounts go on the top mounting points and pheewww, the bonnet shuts ok as new rad really does go a little higher than OEM haha!!! :D

Pic of my little Josh admiring the new rad from below the car:

James

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Haha, good work Josh! You've taught him well James!! :D

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I know... the boy takes more interest than his brother who apparently 'hates cars' so I'm keeping Josh tyte with my JDM shizzle haha :D

Reaction score
That looks awesome mate! got a pic of the engine bay with the new addition?

Could you use this rad with the standard pipes and fan etc so all you would need to buy is the rad?

Also how much was the controller and electric fans if you dont mind me asking?

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
Apex have a group buy over on sxoc at the minute.
I've ordered:
S15 rad £115
Fan shroud with twin fan set £69
Revotec fan controller £45
Rad coolent hoses with T style clamps £30 (Blue)
delivery is 10 quid in uk.
Delivery is end of may. might be worth a look

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
That looks awesome mate! got a pic of the engine bay with the new addition?

Could you use this rad with the standard pipes and fan etc so all you would need to buy is the rad?

Also how much was the controller and electric fans if you dont mind me asking?
Soz mate not got pic yet cos it's very wet here today lol :wack: And also it's not fully installed so will take pics as always and slap them on here when I've done it :)

You can deffo us the standard lower pipe which runs from middle of block to the lowest point on the rad. However, because this rad sits a bit higher than stock rad, I'd say there could be trouble trying to use the original top coolant pipe. I'll try and remember to line it up with old pipe as I've still got it (not sent into bin just yet!!) and see if it marries up ok...

Twin 12" electric fans including mounting brackets were about £115 from Japspeed. The Revotec fan controller was around £46 from Demon Tweeks :D

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
couldn't resist anymore, got 1 too from the GB, add that with the hoses i've already got on order and some time off work at the end of may, it could be a fun week. Hopefully it will be sunny too