What's new

S15 vs RX7

T

Toby

I'm curious to hear from people who have owned both of these fine cars!

How do the 2 compare? Wichever I do choose to byu will have about 100bhp more than standard, how do the 2 cars compare when giving this extra power to use?

Thanks everyone :)

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
i have got both as we speak, also have had s14 and 14a,

i love the s15 its awesome but its no where near as good to drive as the rx7. Power delivery of the rx7 is second to none rotary engine is just the best thing.

However the s15 drives so much differently than the 14. and i am really happy with it!!

its a very close score. my s15 is my daily car and the rx7 is broken. lol
for practical use / fun i would say the s15 is the better car but for a track toy/weekend car rx7 hands down.

tooley

Reaction score
Country
yea fuel was a bugger!! thats my old FD i have a green one now but its not been washed in a year!!! and it has an sr20det in it atm!!

topic in projects section on here :D

Reaction score
Stock, the Rx7 is a better car - performance wise. However with sensible modification, the S15 can be just as good if not better. I was orginally in the market for an Rx7 before the S15 was released - after years of looking for a decent one; the s15 dropped in price and became a valid option. Once you research the Rx7 thoroughly vs a S15 - the Rx7 doesn't stack up. Factor in the rebuild cost of an engine for the Rx7 - it's a matter of "when" not "if". This money put towards modifying an S15 will leave you with a reliable car more than capable of dispatching a Rx7.

tooley

Reaction score
Country
Granted that the s15 is much more reliable (unless you know how to run/tune a rotary correctly so it does not detonate) hence why its my everyday car, the engine does not respond anything like a 13b rotary... i find the s15 struggles at higher speeds specially in 5th 6th gear where in a rotary engine it loves it.

Both cars are my top two fav jap cars :D so either choice you will not be dissapointed.

T

Toby

Thanks for the input all :)

There is only really 2 pro's to the RX in my eyes.

The RX looks better inside and out (although i still very much like the S15)

The RX is also easier to get power from.

However in the S15 Side.

The reliability and running costs are much more favourable.

They are newer!

and the Forum seems much more active!

I am certainly leaning towards the S15 it seems alot of RX's have just been messed about with far too much :-(

tooley

Reaction score
Country
definatly agree there, if i were to buy another FD it would be a 2002 spirt R totally stock. tomany cowboys.

Like i said man iether way you wont be disapointed, or like me buy a 15 for road and fd for track :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I've got 3 good mates who have FD's... (Tooley doesn't count cos he's an S15 owner in my eyes haha) :p

The one Andy is on his third rebuild and believe me, he doesn't abuse his FD... it's only driven on weekends and is immaculate. Also the rebuilds were all done by Pip @ WGT who are highly recommended for rotary work/tuning.

The second Macer has had his Rex for about a year - all was running fine until recently... low compression... looks like a rebuild job.

I think they are gorgeous cars and have a lot of potential but as everyone says, you'll have to live with the running costs and factor in rebuilds every now and then!!

Anyways, looks like we've persuaded you to go for S15 hehe :D

T

Toby

Aye, it does seem the bad press these engines get are not simple down to a bunch of chavs not looking after them like I first thought....

It was a 99spec RS single turbo tuned to about 450bhp, and while it was quite impressive from a power and noise point of view, looking under the bonnet there was just so much to go wrong!

Will have to geek my self up on the S15's and go get one I suppse :)

Reaction score
Granted that the s15 is much more reliable (unless you know how to run/tune a rotary correctly so it does not detonate) hence why its my everyday car, the engine does not respond anything like a 13b rotary... i find the s15 struggles at higher speeds specially in 5th 6th gear where in a rotary engine it loves it.

Both cars are my top two fav jap cars :D so either choice you will not be dissapointed.
How much power are you running in your s15? I have 210rwkw and the s15 goes well in all gears with next to no lag. But compared to a stock s15; yes - the rx7 (a good one) is noticably faster in all gears.

To the OP - the key is to understand how a Rx7 has to be modified; it's not like other cars where exhaust and intake mods don't require an ECU upgrade. Even just a full turbo back exhaust is enough to require an ECU change on a Rx7 to be safe. An SR20DET or 4G63 will tolerate some detonation without exploding on the first sign - it won't like it; but it won't die. One ping on a rotary and it will keel over in a screaming heap.

The rx7 is really a car for enthusiasts who are die hard rotary fans and who know what is required to run them well. For someone who wants a fast car but doesn't want or know all the intricacies of the Rx7 - then a Silvia / Evo / Skyline is the answer. The people who have been burned by buying a poorly modified Rx7; or who have dabbled in modification only to have to rebuild one or more times belong in the latter group.

The problem in NZ at least is that the unknowing masses have pretty much butchered most of the Rx7's here with crap bodykits; cheap single turbo conversions; backyard rebuilds etc. Finding a nice tight unmolested example is near impossible.

If you go the Rx7 route, find a nice one and either leave it stock; or modify it properly and thoroughly from the start. If done right, they can be relatively reliable - it's just that many aren't (done right). Just do your homework first and if it stacks up; then get one and enjoy it :).

I really liked the Rx7 for a long time (I still do somewhat); I just don't have the patience / can't justify the expense in owning one knowing what's involved. Especially when a well modified s15 can do it all. You have to more than LIKE an Rx7 to be a happy owner... you have to LOVE them.

I do love my S15 though... that's why you should buy one ;).

tooley

Reaction score
Country
How much power are you running in your s15? I have 210rwkw and the s15 goes well in all gears with next to no lag. But compared to a stock s15; yes - the rx7 (a good one) is noticably faster in all gears.

To the OP - the key is to understand how a Rx7 has to be modified; it's not like other cars where exhaust and intake mods don't require an ECU upgrade. Even just a full turbo back exhaust is enough to require an ECU change on a Rx7 to be safe. An SR20DET or 4G63 will tolerate some detonation without exploding on the first sign - it won't like it; but it won't die. One ping on a rotary and it will keel over in a screaming heap.

The rx7 is really a car for enthusiasts who are die hard rotary fans and who know what is required to run them well. For someone who wants a fast car but doesn't want or know all the intricacies of the Rx7 - then a Silvia / Evo / Skyline is the answer. The people who have been burned by buying a poorly modified Rx7; or who have dabbled in modification only to have to rebuild one or more times belong in the latter group.

The problem in NZ at least is that the unknowing masses have pretty much butchered most of the Rx7's here with crap bodykits; cheap single turbo conversions; backyard rebuilds etc. Finding a nice tight unmolested example is near impossible.

If you go the Rx7 route, find a nice one and either leave it stock; or modify it properly and thoroughly from the start. If done right, they can be relatively reliable - it's just that many aren't (done right). Just do your homework first and if it stacks up; then get one and enjoy it :).

I really liked the Rx7 for a long time (I still do somewhat); I just don't have the patience / can't justify the expense in owning one knowing what's involved. Especially when a well modified s15 can do it all. You have to more than LIKE an Rx7 to be a happy owner... you have to LOVE them.

I do love my S15 though... that's why you should buy one ;).

Dude, i can completly agree with everything you said there! sums it up perfectly! i did my university dissertation on the rotary engine, i love them!! my next project inline is a 20b FD.

There are way to many FD's out there that are not done right!! They are so delicate when it comes to detonation which is why every mod requires a map!, most owners dont even map them to uk fuel, which is another reason why the break a tip.

my mate bought a 1998 fd completly standard has tunned it all him self and nothing has gone wrong in 4 years!

But yes you have to love them to be a happy owner! :D:D:D

Reaction score
i've owned both... it really depends what you want the car to do.... daily driving with a bit of fun at the track and also easier on the wallet to mod, s15 wins hands down... however, if your looking for a good handling car with alot of potential, no money restriction, and don't mind a smaller interior, the rx7 is the car to own... design and engineering of the rx7 is still on par with some of the cars produced today. keep in mind, stock for stock, the rx7 cost's alot more than the s15 off the factory floor, so obviously there are fields where it exceeds that of an s15... it's a pure 'drivers' car

Reaction score
Country
I've driven and RX7 and it's freakin' amazing! My only problem is watching my poor friend sink all types of crazy cash each time the engine goes "pop"....and that happens more then you'd think.