What's new

Silvia remapped by Steve @ FC Tuning... POW!!!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hey :wave:

Some of you guys will probably already know but I jumped on Tom's (sliding-r) idea of getting his remap done by Steve @ FC Tuning so we both headed down to Hayes Engineering near Dartford to get our cars sorted out with remap work etc.

Well for starters both Bob and Ray who work at Hayes Engineering are ace!! Massive garage with all the gear and friendly guys too :) I'm gonna drop off Silvia with these guys when I've got the GT2871, 740cc injectors and Z32 AFM ready to bolt on :nod:

And Steve the man himself did an awesome job on our remaps!! It's all about the torque (leave bhp for the pub lol) so here are the figures for my car:

POWER BEFORE ~245 bhp
POWER AFTER = 292 bhp

TORQUE BEFORE ~240 lb ft
TORQUE AFTER = 327 lb ft

Wow - the test drive confirmed everything... simply bags of torque which peaks at around 3500 rpm... nice and early woooo!!! :cool:

And Steve is great at explaining all the jargon, clear up all the bullsh*t about what people (who don't tune engines) thinks about this, about that... was fab just learning about the whole shebang. The one thing that worried me and all my mates warned me was the the fact that now I'm mapped to max 95% injector duty but Steve confirmed that this is fine since it's only for a very split second and as evident from the graphy below which shows fuelling, the ratio is constant 12:1 all the way to redline - there is no leaning out!!!

So an awesome day and I can't wait to get all the next bolt on parts sorted, plus another FC Tuning remap so looking for well into 330+ bhp :D :D

James

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
BTW - you can see from the graph with boost reading that my actuator is getting old and 1.2 bar peak soon drops off to 1.0 bar. Another reason to upgrade turbo with new uprated actuator!!

Tom's car has similar mods as mine: FMIC, fuel pump, elbow, downpipe, decat, air filter, boost controller, stock engine internals, stock manifold. And his car was outputting pretty much exact figures as mine. How's that for consistency!! :)

Pics of the journey down:

On the DynoTech rollers:

Power graph (see the fuelling is constant 12:1 which is good):

Boost reading which as said drops off from 1.2 bar:

Here's the bit we should only be interested in... torque!!! Bags of it now - 325 lb ft early on... awesome!!!! :D

Well I can only say MANY THANKS to Steve @ FC Tuning and Bob/Ray @ Hayes Engineering. Was a great experience and look forward to the next mods + remap!!!

James

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
hey im looking into gettin a stage 1 in near future how much was it can u remember?
:D

Reaction score
Country
Thats bloody good on standard injectors and AFM. Did Steve mention what you should expect from the GT2871R ?

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
awesome james!!! you have a power FC dont you? could he remap/chip the stock ECU as i cant afford a power fc as of yet, can you pm me how much he charged :D

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Thats bloody good on standard injectors and AFM. Did Steve mention what you should expect from the GT2871R ?
as near as dammit high 300's hp and late 300's torque i would hope - maybe nudge the magic 400......i'm running around with an afr of low 10's on boost making the mid 3's as you know, needs trimming up badly......

congratulations you two on the results :cool:, looks like victory for steve saddler :nod: was this on nistune?

i'm definitely going to get booked in with him as soon as funds permit, need to source a forge/hks actuator first and maybe an aeromotive fpr. throw it all in a pot and see what steve can cook up :notworthy:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
What is the difference between the different GT2871r's then? I'm becoming more and more tempted by one, but if I do go down that route I don't want to end up blowing the box to bits. At the moment I reach 1.3 bar around 4-5k rpm, but then the boost tails off to around a bar. Want to go for around 1.3 bar all the way through the revs so which variant of the 2871 would be best for this?

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Can't wait for my remap with steve at Hayes end of May.

Some pretty awesome gains for you both.

Roll on May...

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
What is the difference between the different GT2871r's then? I'm becoming more and more tempted by one, but if I do go down that route I don't want to end up blowing the box to bits. At the moment I reach 1.3 bar around 4-5k rpm, but then the boost tails off to around a bar. Want to go for around 1.3 bar all the way through the revs so which variant of the 2871 would be best for this?
you want the .64 52 trim mate, the .86 housing is laggier, can make more top end power but the .64 is the best balance between being matched to the sr, quick spool and good power ;)

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
What actuator do people recommend to stop the drop
off in boost?

I'd guess it would be either the hks or forge ones?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I thought it was more to do with the fact the turbo cant supply enough charged air rather than the actuator being weak. I have a uprated actuator and mine still drops off to 1.0 bar from 1.3..

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
I thought it was more to do with the fact the turbo cant supply enough charged air rather than the actuator being weak. I have a uprated actuator and mine still drops off to 1.0 bar from 1.3..
Oh really, I thought it was becasue the actuator spring is tired/old, and becasue it cannot hold the boost level for long the waste gate starts to crack open, hence the loss in boost.

So is this more a case of the standard turbo running out of puff at high revs?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
So is this more a case of the standard turbo running out of puff at high revs?
Yeah, exactly.

If it was as simple as weak actuators then people would just get uprated actuators and keep the stock turbo. The boost map in James' graph looks exactly the same as mine does in the way it tails off and my turbo and actuator have covered about 3000 miles and are about a year old.

Reaction score
mine was holding boost a little better at higher RPMs but the exhaust was hampering my high end power on the car as its only a 2.5" NA exhaust, you can actually hear it struggling to get the gases out fast enough!

i may look to change this in the future but isnt really affecting my enjoyment of it at the moment as there plenty to play with.. i made 287 i think and from my graph you can see my power dies slighty earlier than james hence the exhaust and my torque peaked at 333 lbsft.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Their still good figures Tom. Have you got a Power FC or Nistune?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
That is quite a big drop off in power above 6000. Have you got a decat?