What's new

Rocker cover

Reaction score
Country
I though I'd tidy up my engine bay a bit and paint my rocker cover.

I got a spare cover off the SXOC, and stripped all the paint, filed out all the casting marks, and smoothed off the letters. I did a nice job of painting it properly using etch primer, and getting a nice black with metallic red paint made up at the local paint place, not your run of the mill halfords tins.

Spent a while getting it nicely polished, and went to fit it today. Got the old one off after a bit of fiddling.

Now I find out S14 covers are different :cry: :annoyed:

The holes where the coil packs go through are a lot smaller, and the mounts where they bolt on are 9mm taller on the S15 cover. I'm sure the S14 cover would bolt up okay, but I want it right, not bodged.

Now I'm going to have to do it all again :rolleyes:

Should have searched first, and I would have found out before I wasted hours on the S14 cover that it was different.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
am i the only one that has actually run one of these for 2 years and not seen the bother about any of it? the gaskets are the same, the ornament plate is the same, the coil packs still fit fine, and i've used the same fixing points for the coils and they have been fine too - they just tilt the head of the coilpack slightly.

Reaction score
Country
I could fit the S14 one, but there would be a big gap around the stem of the coilpack, and you'd have to make a spacer to keep the coilpack at the same height, so I've started again on the one I've took off.
I've got the paint stripped, ground off the lettering and filled over the lettering on the cover plate. When it's finished it should be nice and smooth :)

There was a couple of little bits I'd have liked to have done better on the first one, so this will give me chance to do it even better this time around.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
yep but thats what i'm saying, it will not cause any problems if you fit it....

Reaction score
The S14 Splitfire coilpack kit is supplied with S15 Splitfire coilpacks + spacers.

I'd just pop some spacers on the coilpack bolts to take up the extra room :)