What's new

S15 purchase irregularities

02LOUD

hey guys lots of info here so i signed up and i have a question.

i was looking through the specs page and misc page i found linked to this site.

i noticed the codes you had listed for the different models etc.

my question is i am looking at a car at the moment that is listed as a spec r, it has the 6 speed manual and SR20DET. Has half leather seats in the front and everything else Spec R related.

however the plate on the firewall behind the driver reads:

MODEL: GBYARUFS15ED4B--B--
ENGINE: SR20(DE)
TRANS AXLE: FS5W71C RC40

does this mean that at one stage this car was a spec S -g according to the codes. and also a 5 speed manual?

if so i will more than likely stick away from it.

thanks for your help.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Sure looks as though it was originally a Spec S. PM me the chassis number and I'll check what it was when it left the factory.

Reaction score
So the fact you are in Auss must mean you are looking at a second hand import. I would be very careful of a car like this.It screams of half cut,repairable right off.

02LOUD

yeah its a second hand import. there is no free vin check service for repairable write offs that i know of in brisbane so leaving that till i understand everything and do that at the end. i was considering using the nsw vin check and putting in a random licence plate but not sure if it will have written off details of an interstate vehicle???

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Sounds a bit dodgy as Auss15 said. I would stay away from it.

02LOUD

yep vin is spec s. now to find out if it was a rebuild or a front cut. if its a rebuild then its basically spec s price with the turbo six speed. so that wouldnt be too bad i guess.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
depends on the price really.

02LOUD

i didnt get a reply? :(

hey guys does anyone know where the vin is stamped into the car? just so i can confirm whether its a front cut or what the go is. if i can match the proper vin i can find out what the go is. i have taken a photo of the 2 x plates on the car. 1 x nissan motor co plate and the aus vin number plate but just looking for where it got stamped on the body.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It's on the bulkhead to the right of the VIN isn't it? To the right of the BMC, kinda behind the brake pipes

02LOUD

ok cool will have a look there on the weekend. might have to put the car up on our hoist and se if its had a front cut of some sort.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
You'll probably find it's just had an engine swap mate.

Reaction score
Ok I don't know what happened to my PM but basically what I said was that if the car is unregistered as it has been off the road for so long that you will have to get a blue slip to get it registered.
Now the problem is if the numbers don't match up and you don't have an engineers certificate to cover the modifications you will have big issues with the authorities (RTA) getting it registered to drive on public roads.
They will possibly view it as a rebirthed vehicle or dodgy conversion without any formal reciepts or certificates of work performed by an authorised motor vehicle repairer.

It might sound like a good deal but in the end it might cost you money and being stuck with a vehicle you can't on sell.